Suggestions for air nail gun for trim work

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I am ripping up all the flooring and will eventually add vinyl to make it easy to keep this ranch house clean. In the process, I will add new baseboards and some panel seam covers. Upon close examination, it appears that the existing baseboards used brads that were nearly two inches long, while the panel cover trim pieces were held together with much smaller brads. Can anyone recommend a good quality air nail gun that would accommodate various brad sizes?

Thank you!
nails.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponch37300

I'm pretty sure the nail gun you posted is a framing gun, with the spike tip on it. There are 15 gauge nail guns that look pretty similar, http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-N62FNK-2 ... h+nail+gun. Shoots 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" nails. Also have 16 and 18 gauge straight nailers, http://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-FN1664K- ... h+nail+gun and http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditi ... h+nail+gun. The 16 gauge shoots 3/4" to 2 1/2". I think I would go with the 16 gauge if I was just going to get one gun. I have all 3 sizes and use them all the time for things around the house and wood working projects. Would like to pick up a 23 gauge pin nailer for smaller trim work.
bigedschukar

I just got a Ryobi 18v cordless nailer and have been pretty pleased with it thus far. Have only done a little trim work in a room, but I've got a whole house ahead of me and I feel like it is going to work out great!

Here is a link to the Home Depot site:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Vol ... eDWhqU9l0s

If Ryobi isn't your thing I know Dewalt also makes a cordless one. If you're looking for the cord though, I can't help ya! :)
- Big Ed
nestsman

So this kind uses battery power instead of air from a compressor?
HouseMedic

If you don't think you are going to use it much you can just rent one. Most Home Depot stores in my area have a rental store you could get it at.

Ron
JeffInFL

bigedschukar wrote:I just got a Ryobi 18v cordless nailer and have been pretty pleased with it thus far. Have only done a little trim work in a room, but I've got a whole house ahead of me and I feel like it is going to work out great!
I'm glad to hear that .. I look at it every time I'm in Home Depot, as I already have other Ryobi 18v stuff. I have a whole house ahead of me too!
Greg

I have a Porter cable air finish nailer that will shoot up to a 2" trim nail. I love it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

My porter cable compressor came with a 16ga brad gun, which uses brads up to 2". I find the 16ga leaves too big of a hole, so I got a bostitch 18ga that I like a lot. It also handles brads up to 2". This gun has shot thousands of brads and works flawlessly. I have to keep the case together with house wire used like a twist tie since the clasps broke off, but the gun is great!

The porter cable 16ga still comes in handy. Often I will use it to hold framing, like floor bracing, in place with toenails, then use both hands to secure the framing with a palm nailer or screws.

The guns called "Finish Nailers" leave a huge hole and I would not use it for regular trim.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.