What to do with mold

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

This photo is a wall on the opposite of the bathroom shower. No one has used this house for two years, and so that means no water in the shower either. Therefore, can I assume his mold has "died" due to not having access to moisture? Should I just sand it off and paint over it?

Thanks!
mold.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terrifromohio

I just had the same problem. I am moving into my deceased mother`s mobile and there was mold around where the water heater had leaked, it was up into the drywall and into the floor boards. It looked about the same as that. I think that is black mold but can`t be sure. We ripped everything thing out and put in new. Mold is nothing to mess with. My mom`s place was vacant for about a year.
ponch37300

IF you do sand it please wear a GOOD mask made for mold. While sanding you will be putting all that airborne. I'm not a mold expert, my knowledge of it is that it's bad stuff and you don't want any in your house. I do know that it grows in dark and damp locations.

First thing I would do is figure out why there is mold there, roof leak, water pipe leak, toilet overflow, etc. and make sure that is fixed. Personally I rip mold out. That drywall was wet for some time for it to create that mold. Which means it most likely is just crumbs so sanding won't help much, probably just make a hole there anyway. Drywall is just paper with gypsum in between it, any water and it doesn't do well. When I find mold I rip it all out.
bigedschukar

Like the others I'm no mold expert but I do know it's nothing to take lightly. I worked in Las Vegas, Nevada for 10 years during the housing boom and mold lawsuits were serious business (for good reason). The only advice I can give is be careful when removing it. Mask, gloves, etc. We had a little in our place when we moved in last year and I was able to just cut the drywall out and replace. I went as far as to spray the mold with bleach before I went about removing it too. I'm not saying it's the correct process, but it made me feel better.

Good luck!!
- Big Ed