Sometimes...it stinks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

Not sure how to explain this but lately I keep getting a whiff of a "poopy" smell whether I am inside or outside. It is ever so slight...just a second or two...and then gone.

I immediately suspected a broken or cracked sewage line...but I found no sign of any leakage under the house.

If it was just outside - I could blame the dogs. But I cannot figure out the 'whiffs' that occur inside, nor why the smell doesn't last long enough to track it back to a source.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
ponch37300

Is this smell just random or does it happen when you run water or washer running or anything like that? What about your vents and air admittance devices under sinks?
Mark440

So far, it seems to be completely random....and never lasts long enough to get a bearing on where it may emanate. It's like you stepped in something out in the yard..but there's nothing on your shoe.

I had the place re-roofed in the last month. Got up on the roof to make certain none of the vents were blocked or restricted (at least from up there).

As for the water here - it has always had a funky smell due to the excess iron in it. I won't drink the stuff, and I turned off the ice maker as the ice did have a not-so-pleasant smell to it. But, this wafting smell is most definitely stronger.
asa

Do you have any sinks or toilets that haven't been used in a while? If the water in the trap evaporates you can get some odor coming back up.
Steve-WA

Hummus does that to me...
Mark440

The smell has gone away - and i have absolutely no idea how or why or where.

I suppose it may be best just to leave this as one of those great unsolved mysteries.....
JeffInFL

Check the bottom of your shoes .. happened to me last week! :D
countrydan

maybe your septic field/leech field is causing this?

maybe a small dead animal in your walls?crawl space? dried up p trap or a cracked drain line?

glad its gone whatever it was!