pipe reduction

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

I could use some expert advice on plumbing....

We have irrigation, and house water and the two come from separate sources. The irrigation line comes in at 3/4 pipe size, and runs all sprinklers and outside needs. We had no emergency shut off valve, so when the pipe leaks, I have to reach into the ground about 19 inches to shut off the switch so repairs can be made. I decided that was ridiculous, and we needed an emergency shut off above ground! So, I put together a pipe section, added the hose bib and shut off valve, then realized we had 3/4 inch pipe (after I put everything together for a 1/2 pipe.

So as not to waste time and money, I ran to the local hardware store and grabbed a coupler that attaches 3/4 to 1/2...works fine. Now...I was proud as punch of my handiwork, until a neighbor said I probably should have stayed with 3/4 all the way around, and the reduction may cause me problems down the road.

Anyone??? I'm half tempted to go back to the hardware store and redo everything with 3/4. Thought I would check here first....
Greg S

Reducing to 1/2 inch will reduce your flow rate. Whether it affects your irrigation system will depend on your water pressure and the volume of water required at your irrigation end.

If the irrigation system requires a high volume or high pressure the reduction may be noticeable but until you test it out it is difficult to predict. Turn it on and see.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
LisaBoyer

The reduction of flow is not what concerns me, I was more afraid of blowing out any of the piping. Is there any chance of that? Our water pressure from that line is normally very strong, I don't need any form of pump for my sprinklers, which in other places were a necessity.

It's probably my lack of knowledge on plumbing, but is it possible to put too much pressure on the pipes by reducing?
Greg S

LisaBoyer wrote: It's probably my lack of knowledge on plumbing, but is it possible to put too much pressure on the pipes by reducing?

No.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

The pressure will remain the same no matter what size pipe you use. It's the flow (Volume of water) that will change.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."