Found Mold Around Hot Water Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I looked in on the hot water heater after all the demo going on lately. Well much to my suprise I found what I think is black mold on the drywall. I do remember my mom had a leak from the hot water heater a couple years ago and they replaced it.
Now the hot water heater I guess has to be removed and all the drywall has to be cut out? What a mess. I have to pay someone to do this. So more money.
Also the skirting is falling off around the place. Any suggestions on the mold? No, bleach will not kill black mold.
Greg

The suggestion I have for the black mold is expensive, A dry ice blaster works great on it!! That said, the more reasonable choices are chemicals and AIR. Mold likes a damp environment, get some air movement and dry the area up. Then find where the moisture is coming from and get that problem solved.

I would bet that the problem is NOT from a leak a few years ago. As I said mold needs moisture to live, so there is still a moisture source somewhere.

I would do a complete inspection of the home or have an energy audit (usually free) done and find ALL of the problem areas so you know what you are dealing with. Then you can make your repair plans based on importance.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."