Options for a rolled metal roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I think my mobile home has a "rolled metal roof". I saw this phrase elsewhere on this site and it seems to fit what I have. Is this how it likely came from the factory? Or is a rolled metal roof something that has been added in the past? It's not very attractive and I am wondering if it's fairly easy to strip it off and replace it with fiberglass roofing shingles. I assume that there is some plywood underneath the rolled metal.

Thanks!
1987Commodore

Yes, it came that way. Whether it can be replaced with shingles depends upon the size of your roof trusses. You have to be very careful with adding weight. How about a new metal panel roof? They are becoming very popular now, and will outlast shingles.
JD
Site Admin

Most homes with metal rolled roofs will not having sheathing under the metal. I have seen a few that did though. Great to work on! I love the stability. But these are actually rare in my area. I would not recommend adding framing, plywood and shingles to a home with a factory metal roof. The load factors are usually set for the rolled metal roof and not strong enough for the weight of a shingle roof. Also, most metal roofs have a less than 2.5/12 pitch, which would void all warranties. A 2.5/12 roof is the minimum slope for shingles. This minimum slope greatly reduces the lifespan of the shingles, compared to a standard stick-boilt home at 4/12
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.