CAT 5 network cables in the AC duct work

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

This mobile home has some jacks for analog phones and cable TV. However, my TV and phones will be entering the mobile home via fiber optic lines, then branch out to each of the rooms using CAT 5 networking cable. My plan is to have the internet come in through the hot water heater door that is accessible from the outside of the home. Once in the home, I want to run the wire through the laundry room and poke into the furnace "closet". This is where I might put the router as long as it doesn't get too hot in there. If everything goes well, I'm hoping to be able to run four network cables out of the router into different parts of the house using the AC duct work. I haven't inspected the furnace closet real closely yet, so this may not even work.

Is this a bad idea? If so, do you have a better idea on how to run the network cables to different parts of the house?

Thanks!
1987Commodore

I wouldn't run in the duct work, as you'll have to make entry and exit holes, letting air escape, and running the risk of the cable being abraded by the cut metal. You would also have to make large holes in the belly wrap to access the ducts for routing.
I would run it below the belly wrap, drilling straight up into the wall, and to an appropriate outlet box. I did this with my cable lines with no issues.
ponch37300

No chance in going wireless? I would not enter in the WH closet or put a router in the furnace closet or run lines in the furnace ducts. Not even sure if codes or safety would come into play but just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Spydrweb1977

Definetly not in the ducts, and try to keep the runs away from the ducts and furnace in general. The cable casing could melt and smolder... Not good. Also, any wire that will be run in the walls or in the underbelly should really be plenum grade for fire safety reasons.
JeffInFL

Wherever you put the router, make sure there's enough room for ventilation. Those things can get hot sometimes. Can you run the wires thru the floor and route them underneath the trailer? The holes in my floor where the electrical wires come through are quite large, and could easily accommodate a single CAT5 wire. I would try to run the wire up from underneath into these holes, then pop a hole in the drywall next to the power outlet and install a CAT5 jack.

Before I did any of that, though, I would consider going wireless. You can pick up a WiFi USB adapter for under $20. My TV, Xbox, laptop, tablet and cell phone all use my WiFi at the same time, and I never have issues with speed. I've even streamed video wirelessly from the laptop to the TV (Sony Bravia TV w/ built in WiFi) with no problems.
nestsman

I try to avoid wifi due to the EMF. So after doing some research online I found the Netgear Powerline. It lets you have wired internet anywhere in your mobile home using the existing electrical wiring that is already in the walls. The amazon.com reviews for this product are excellent, so I feel confident this will work nicely. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WG6JF8