Aluminum wiring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I am moving into a 1986 Fleetwood, is there any possibility that it would have aluminum wiring in it? I am having electrical problems and the electrician said it might. I am hoping for copper wiring.
Greg

The age range would be right. Have your electrician check or you can remove the cover from the breaker panel and check.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

What kind of problems are you having? Did you have an electrician onsite or just talk to one? If they were onsite they should be able to tell you in a short period of time.
JeffInFL

I have an 82 Fleetwood and it's copper
JD
Site Admin

i really doubt that your '86 home has aluminum wiring. I think the suspect time frame was '65 to '76. I have worked on a couple of Fleetwoods that had problems at the crossover between the two sides. This is usually at the back gable side of the house right at the marriage line, under the floor.

Aluminum wire became popular in residential buildings because of a spike in copper prices. The Us mint started making copper plated zinc pennies in 1983. Today, it costs US 2 cents to make a penny. Here is a wiki fact for ya. "The loss in profitability due to producing the one cent coin in the United States for the year of 2012 was $58,000,000. "
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.