Veneer cabinets

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I am moving into my deceased mothers mobile home a 1989 Fleetwood, it has the old veneer cabinets. They are a mess. Can they be painted over with anything that would adhere to them if so what?
I can not afford to replace them right now.

Terri
Greg

With proper preparation they can be painted. I would recommend going to a paint store and get their advice, possible unscrew a door and take it in with you.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

This all depends on what "they are a mess" means. Some pictures in situations like this always helps a lot to see exactly what shape they are in. Depending on condition you may be able to clean them up and paint them. Or look into re veneering them, or "refacing" them. The local library may have some books on this. If the cabinets are press board with veneer and they have gotten wet and are "bubbling" you might be in some trouble.

Like Greg said if you're going to paint them go visit your local paint store, I deal with Sherwin Williams and have had great service. From my experience the employees at home depot and lowes aren't the most knowledgeable about paints. Plus I've found that the paint from an actual paint store is a LOT better quality then the box stores. If you sign up at Sherwin Williams website they will send you emails and about once a month they have a 30% off sale which makes their quality paint almost the same price as the lesser quality paints at the box stores. Plus the little extra you are paying is worth it for the advice they will give you.
KLBoldon

Prep Prep Prep...Like ponch said, photos would be helpful. Make sure to clean them with something like a TSP product to get all the grease and gunk off. You may need to sand depending on the veneer and glue down any spots that may be lifted or Use a wood filler to fill-in any areas that has chipped off.

Then prime. Another key step to the success of the paint. Get a quality primer such as Zinsser 1-2-3.

Cabinet paint is typically a high-gloss, easiest to clean up and remove finger prints, but semi-gloss or a high-quality satin could be used with success.

Use a high-quality brush, cheap ones will not apply well and you will constantly be picking bristles out of your paint, or a smooth foam roller will also help you achieve a nice finish.