can you paint vinyl siding ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

highway

was wondering if you can paint vinyl siding ? I got a good deal on some used white vinyl siding and I want to change it to gray.

highway
Greg

Plastic (vinyl) can be painted, but proper preparation and paint must be used. I would contact a paint professional and get their input on the subject or try a google.

Remember that paint is a coating that will need to repaired over time as opposed to the actual vinyl that is made that color and never needs touch up to maintain the color.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

As Greg has stated it is possible to paint vinyl but it must be properly prepared and is labour intensive. It is not advisable to change the colour as the paint will deteriorate, peal and chip over time exposing the white and creating a eye sore (in my opinion). Cost wise, if the siding you want to paint is not presently installed, it would be wiser to buy new siding.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
ponch37300

I agree with the other posters that while painting vinyl can be done it isn't ideal. Not sure how good of a deal you got on the used siding but between that cost and the paint and the work to paint it and put it on you would be better off just buying new. What about all the trim for this used siding? You most likely won't be able to reuse the old trim because it will be cut to size for the old house. I'm all about saving money and don't mind putting in the work if it will save me money but some things just are more work then it's worth.
DCDiva

Yes you can paint vinyl siding--we painted ours 21 years ago and it still looks great!! We used Benjamin Moore paint well worth the price!!!
KLBoldon

I sold paint for close to 6 years, so here is some advice to add what the others have been saying and what was always our top priority to inform guest of when they were going to try to paint vinyl siding.

Do not choose a color darker than the original vinyl. Because dark colors absorb more heat from the sun, transferring it to the substrate. This can cause vinyl siding to expand dramatically, to the point of not being able to contract to its original dimensions. The result is buckling and warping that may require replacement of the siding.

Apparently there is fancy new paint on the market, here is a link to one i found;
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeown ... yl-siding/