new siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

highway

Hello,
I have a '90 single wide and it has the metal/aluminum siding. I want to change to vinyl siding and was wondering if it is ok to just put the vinyl over the metal siding using fan board under the vinyl ? I also will be installing replacement double hung windows.

highway
ponch37300

If it was me I would take the time to rip off the old metal siding and recycle it. I've know a few guys that almost paid for their new vinyl siding by the profits of the metal siding. Plus you will have a fresh surface to put the new vinyl on instead of going over the top of another siding. Will also make installing the new windows easier. It's a win all the way around in my opinion.
highway

ponch, when they removed the siding what did they use under the vinyl. On mine under the metal is just the insulation there is no osb board
JD
Site Admin

I am currently working with a customer that is having a terrible problem with condensation due to improperly installed vinyl siding over aluminum siding. The siding was screwed direct to the siding. I was hoping to find and inexpensive fix. The owner of my vinyl siding supply house came out and looked at the job. He said that there should have been furring strips nailed over the studs, and either foam board or fanfold insulation on top of the furring strips. With this house, I am not even sure that would totally cure the problem. I think the aluminum siding is acting as a second moisture barrier, trapping the condensation.

I would also remove the aluminum siding, although I don't get much for the recycle.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
highway

JD, wow that makes me for sure want to remove the metal siding. When I do what do I put under the vinyl siding ? Do I use osb or do I just add fan board or reflective bubble wrap ? There is no OSB or plywood under the metal siding
eflyersteve

I went back and forth on vinyl or smartside panel and the added expense of having to add an OSB sheathing before vinyl made me realize that the panel siding was the way to go. Havan't installed it yet but that is the direction I am headed. I'll remove the windows and tin, wrap the house, install new windows and then the panel siding.

Do you have eaves on the home? If not, have you thought about how to address the top edge of the siding as it will be exposed and allow water to get behind the siding. We are going to roof at the same time so we are adding a drip edge trim and 3" overhang.

Good luck!
highway

eflyersteve ,I am going to add a new roof before I do the siding and have an overhang/eaves.
JD
Site Admin

I would use 1/2" osb with Homewrap over that. Be sure that the siding is nailed into studs and not just the osb. Get the free download of the Vinyl Siding Institute Installation instructions here.'

http://www.vinylsiding.org/installation/manual/

It is all good info, but be sure to read how to flash windows and doors and how to install the trim properly, ie.. use finish trim and the notch tool. Keep your lines perfectly straight or you will end up with warps and bulges.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
highway

JD , I was thinking osb but was wondering if it would be too much weight on the outriggers. I am adding a new roof as well using 2x4's/insulation and corrugated metal roof

highway
Greg

You may want to add parameter blocking to support the weight.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Our trailer has some kind of fiberboard behind the vinyl siding. I'm not sure what it's called or even where to get it, don't think I've ever seen it at home depot or anywhere.