Hi Newbie With Some Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wildirishrose

Hello everyone.I have been lurking for quite some time as well as having bought the helpful manual. When I mean helpful, I really mean it. That along with color pictures and videos, it has answered a lot of questions regarding the floor issues.

Question 1, does a 1981 singlewide have any value if it sits on a permenant cement pad as well as being on two acres, 28x23 detached garage/man cave with drilled well, metal roof and water heater? Yes there are soft spots where whole kitchen and hallway would need to replace. My thougts are the value is in the land and garage.

2. Is it worth fixing up if I am looking to sell?

My husband and I want to buy a double wide on 2-5 acres when he retires in 2 years. He says as long as it has a good well & septic and roof, he could do everything else such as replacing the floor as he doesn't trust what was put down without proof. I did show him the manural and that combined with him replacing our home with tile, we could work on on the new to us home. We want to look at something in the mid 90's or slightly newer due to price and perhaps having his mancave/outbuildings.
countrydan

i dont know where you are at but based on my research if the trailer is converted to "real" property and has the paperwork to verify this and is filed with the county or wherever, and is on a permanent foundation (permanently affixed) I believe it will hold value close to its stickbuilt counterparts. of course the location is important too and the garage/land and etc is also valuable imo. sounds like a nice place to me...

hopefully the mh pros on this site can shed more info.
wildirishrose

Thanks replying Country Dan. Yes it sits on a cement pad and not considered a moble at all. It is in northen Maine by East Grand Lake. I have a lot of emotional attachment to it, but figured after 5 years, my parents are not going to move there. My husband said what ever money I can get out of it should go as a down payment on a new to us double wide. That is why he could work on it when he has time off. I could live in it on weekends to see what issues it has and, make a list of to do's. One of mmy questions is if I should replace the kitchen and hallway or, sell it with a separate check to cover 3/4 inch plywood to take care of it themselves.Before I bought it, someone had redone the master bedroom and living area along with double pain windows. It really is not that much of a fixer-upper as I have seen on here. I just wonder if it is worth redoing the floor. Did you know I didn't what a joist was before I read the manual I got here? I am all thumbs. My husband said it is not worth replacing the floor as we live in Florida.

So the good thing will be is when I sell, I can walk away with some cash to look for a place here.There is a great section on here about what to look for when buying a used home. I just will miss my little get-a-way in the North Woods with a population of 200 give or take if it is Summer or not. The nearest "city" of 6k is 17 miles away. I hope to find something like that here in Florida but I doubt it. I guess 2-5 acres abpit 30 minutes to a Lake City will have to do. I have a feeling we will be buying a lot of plywood for a previously owned. Has anyone moved in a place that needs work that doesn't have floor issues?
Greg

We are in the process of buying a 1969 single wide on an acre in the village. It has the utilities on site. We are planning on moving our current home to that site after removing the old home. the codes officer is on board with the plan and does not think there will be any problems with zoning.

So the answer is YES, the home may not have much value, but the land under it does.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wildirishrose

Greg, that was what I thought even though my place is not going anywhere & tax purposes doesn't consider it a vehicle. My thoughts are location, location, location and the really nice garage.

Greg, have you ever bought or seen a used double or single wide that doesn't need floor repairs? I wonder if new flooring is hiding some issues. Yes, I am suspecious. Doesn't open rural mean you can what ever you want as long as it is unlawful? What do you think of repairing the floor with proof (before and after pics with reciepts showing plywood cost? Or would you think the separate check to let buyer take care of it? I will have a lot more questions when my husband and I take the plunge here in Florida. Is moister a big issue due to humid climate here?
countrydan

I would suggest speaking with a real estate agent or following for sale ads in your area for awhile to get a feel of the current market. If you wouldn't mind spending some money you can always get an appraisal done. I would just be sure to speak with an appraiser that is familiar with mh's and the area. They will also tell you if repairs are necessary.

My wife and I bought a foreclosure doublewide trailer very recently (about 8 months ago) on some land in michigan and it is in decent shape. There is floor rot under the fridge (from a leaky valve that i replaced) but not that I've found anywhere else..yet :shock:

So just follow the guide here (we bought before I read yanitas advice and it is all true).

Good luck and keep us posted!
Last edited by countrydan on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

At the beginning of the topic there is a "sticky" post by Yanita with things to look for when buying a home. LOTS of good information and things to look for.

Homes are like used cars, there are great values out there for well maintained homes and there are homes that will need work. You just have to know where to look and what to look for.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."