All is not equal....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Just a rant. But, why can't things be square and exact ?? Measuring for doors, and you would think in a home manufactured in a factory, things would be much easier. Everything we touch is off by an inth degree. It can't be 46 inches, it has to be 45 and 3/8, or so...and one is not the same as the next...so if your thinking all doorways are the same..(buzzer sound) wrong again!

For someone with limited DIY abilities and tools...this is a nightmare.

Ok..rant over. Back to the grind...
Steve-WA

I turned my dad, a long time landlord, on to MHs and after working on his first few, he said it's like working on something that's made to look like a house, but not a house. I say it's like working on a Hollywood set!
ponch37300

I think it would be interesting to work in a MH factory for a little while just to see exactly what their process and reasoning is for some of the things. I believe the biggest reason why or how they build how they do is cutting time to build them. They have it all thought out where they don't have to be perfect. Cut a little short or a little long and no problem, they will slap some kind of cover up on it and call it good. Also think they only have one tape measurer for everyone working on the MH to share because it seems like they don't measure most things! I gave up trying to figure out why or how they do what they do when building these. Takes me enough time to try and figure out how I'm going to fix what I need to. I'm actually pretty lucky, we have a 2000 model that overall is built pretty good. 2x6 walls, vynil siding, double hung low e windows, full size doors, etc. Had to replace a window and it was actually a stock size at menards, pretty sure the same brand. One thing for sure, I have a new found HATE for staples after having to do anything here!
Greg

I think there are two requirements for workers in many mobile home plants
1- Close is close enough.
2- Remember, we are paid by the nail & staple.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaleM

Pitch the level when working in your home, things aren't plumb or level. Use a square and tape measure to get as close to even measurements to existing outer walls, floors and ceilings as you can when you build. Interior walls are always OFF!!
Lorne

They're motto may be, "Less is more".
The less of a product you use, the more the profit.
If 6 Nails is great then 5 or 4 will "DO".

And yes, those fools with the uncontrollable staple or Brad Guns are maniacs.
I get the feeling they think they are using a machine gun, shooting the enemy.

And where in the world did they ever find those dark colored 2 x 3's I find behind walls?
At least there is never a dull moment in the maintenance department when working on my
"Im-mobilehome".

I'm about to cut into a closet wall to allow a new fridge to be installed on the other side because everything is a little bigger now a days. Who knows what I'll find behind the drywall.

My motto, as always is, measure once cut once and once again..........Happy home repairing.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
shaggylive

ponch37300 wrote: One thing for sure, I have a new found HATE for staples after having to do anything here!
well, if you come down to iowa, you can take some frustration out on my staples... lol I'm sooo sick of pulling them. :roll:
Everything I know about home repair I learned from Mike Holmes, but he never worked on a mobile...
Lorne

I love your mention of Mike Holmes. He's my favorite.
If he were to look at what I want to do he would undoubtedly say tear it all down and start from scratch.
I pulled off a trim strip yesterday and it had 15 brads in the first 6 inches. Lord only knows what I'll find when I pull off the first panel of closet drywall.
I just hope it doesn't big long teeth and snarls.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Mark440

I know i am preaching to the choir - BUT!.....

The overall build quality aggravates me to no end. Folks rant about the sloths at the Post Office - well, look no further than the local mobile home factory! The closest many of the 'workers' ever got to a tape measure was the one on the door casing when they were a kid. It's 9obvious from the workmanship they are completely un-level (ie back to the "postal" thing!)

In most aspects I think I have finally got to the point of just letting it go to hell in a handbasket as any repairs are always a nightmare - with at least 3 episodes for every project.

For example, mine had original roof. Facia boards started to rot on front and back. A nice hail storm came by, and a new roof!! Yippee! BUT!! When the roofers pulled off the old roof and paper they found rotted decking the entire front and back edges. Why??? The idiots at the factory put the starter row of shingles on backwards. (The quality control supervisor must have been on a long love-rendezvous-lunch.)

Yes, the Post Office has direct competition!
Opportunity has a shelf life.
JeffInFL

I don't think the MH factory employees are into 'construction' but rather 'assembly' .. I bet most of them would struggle with trying to put together a particle board Walmart entertainment center.

Regarding staples, I pulled a metric ton out of a 16' wide wall yesterday. I found the easiest way was to use a long pair of channel lock pliers (mine are 14" i think) and grip-n-rip like when using a claw hammer to pull a nail. I got the entire wall done in no time, just letting the staples drop to the floor then sweeping them all up afterwards.

I wish I had taken a picture of it, but one of the 2x3's in the outside wall was actually twisted nearly 45 degrees near the bottom. Fortunately the new drywall was able to sit flush against it.

The only thing that really bothers me is that they installed the interior walls on top of the carpet. Also, there was a 12x12 hole under the bathtub where the drain plumbing was. I'm assuming it was to make sure there was enough 'wiggle room' when putting in the drain plumbing, but the giant opening was like a bit 'vacancy' sign for whatever critters that wanted to come and live under the bathtub.
Steve-WA

The big hole @ the tub drain is pretty standard. Shove it full of steel wool;critters won't chew through it, and it's removable for the future