Corners

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

We have a 95 double wide and the walls appear to be a low grade sheet rock. I've removed the corner strips and at first replaced them with the faux wood corners you can find at the home improvement store. Wanting this to look as close to stick built as I can, I am now ready to try my hand at making corners, using a metal corner bead and ready mixed plaster. Has anyone done this?
Results?
Greg

Since you are going to use corner bead I am assuming that it is an outside corner. First user metal bead not plastic. Make sure it is securely fastened to the stud and the screws are sunk slightly below the metal. Mud in layers, don't try to put a heavy coat on all at once. Take your time and don't try to rush the job.
If you have textured drywall you may need to skim coat the rest of the wall since the corner will not be textured.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gtpvette

I've been redoing my drywall as I've been remodeling each of the rooms. 1/3" drywall was installed everywhere just not finished. I removed all of the batten (thin wood) strips that covered the joints, screwed in all of the drywall, then finished.

For outside corners as Greg suggested, metal corner bead,,, inside corners and all other joints I used the mesh tape. Also, I've gotten to where three coats of mud (Joint Compound) and the walls are finished, although it takes three days to do it as each coat needs 24 hours or so to dry. I also don't sand at all as it produces way too much dust. I use a 'Skip Trowel' method to finish it.

The first two coats are to finish the joints and repairs. I try to get it on as smooth as possible but it certinally doesn't need to be perfect. The last coat is the 'Skip Trowel' coat. You end up with a textured finish that looks to me like Stucco. Also,, the texture hids all of the imperfections.

Check out You Tube,,, lots of videos. Here's one on Skip Trowel finishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=048indahNK4

Outside corner bead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoEXowBIpSs

The technique I use moves faster than the video as I can cover a 10' x 10' room in a couple of hours.

Good Luck!
Lorne

When I rebuilt my #1 bathroom I used plastic "Bullnose" outside corner bead because the rounded design doesn't draw your eye away from it.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
chablis

Whatever you do in creating the corners, one of the most important pieces of equipment you will need is a shop vacuum. You wouldn't believe what plaster dust will do to your regular vacuum cleaner, and it isn't pretty. If you don't have one, spring for the extra fifty bucks or so and get one.

I used metal corner bead. I found that tapping the existing surface a little with a hammer made it possible to get the corner bead, mud, and last couple of skim layers flush to the original walls. After sanding and vacuuming up, I used a dampened sponge to wet-sand to get a smooth finish.

Technically, it wasn't all that difficult, just time consuming and tedious. However, the results were worth it.
Chablis