Wallboard Replacement Options

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BunnGuy

I'm in the process of refurbishing a rental MH. I'll be tearing out all the wallboard in some rooms. My question is "What do you guys/gals recommended"? I'm not that great working with sheetrock and sorta wanted something that's would take the abuse of tenants a little better. Love the forum and thank you for keeping it going !!
kailor

I'm helping my brother perform this exact same task. In fact, I'll be leaving the house in a few short minutes. He decided to re-install the white sheet rock that has a very light textured swirled wall paper type of covering. As far as the most durable, well paneling perhaps, but I've seen holes punched in that material, too.

1. We determine if a section of wall board needs removing
2. If not a 4' wide section, draw vertical plumb line on each side of bad section (remember, to share each wall stud with wall panels so you'll have a nailing surface)
3. Score vertical lines with a utility knife (have many new, sharp blades on hand). Make several passes with your utility knife
4. Pull off bad piece. A trick that has been working for me (for 4' wide section removal) is to take a hammer and punch grab holes for your hands (with a wall stud in between the hand holes) and pull the bad section away from the wall with short repetitive yanks. I've been able to get off entire 4'x7' sheets in tact.
5. Make marks on top plate and floor so you'll know where to field staple the replacement sheet.
6. Pull all remaining nails and staples (specific nail-pulling tools are your best friend, here).
7. Take new sheet (measure twice and cut once) install with pneumatic air stapler using at least 1" staples.
Last edited by kailor on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
Greg

Sheet rock is probably the cheapest and best solution to work with, plus it does have a fire rating. The older homes that had wood paneling were easier, but they were also fire traps. I think that is a large part of how "Trailers" got their bad name.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Rock is cheap, fire - retardant, and insulates well. I use regular 1/2" rock in my rentals, remove the battens from the paneling joints and staple it back over the sheet rock joints, and spraycan texture 'maybe'. Crown stapler makes quick & easy install & replacement if damaged. Prime & paint.

Tenants punch . Fact of life. So put up plywood. Otherwise, put up rock in a landlord- friendly way, so when (not if) they punch it, it's easier to repair