floor ruined - furnace cap leaking water in!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

loveoldtrux

Noticed after some rains the floor in the laundry room is sagging. Oh my stars. I thought water might have been coming in through the back door and getting under the linoleum make the floor warp. Thanks to my cat, Jane, she was snooping at the real problem - after a bad rain she was nosing around the furnace.... then i saw it. The puddle. Evidentally rain water has been coming down the roof cap area and onto the floor - ruining it.

Up on the roof I go to find a corner of the part that is suppossed to be nailed in and sealed with sealant has popped UP.... does the heat of the sun make this pop up? It's been ages since I've used the propane heater since I can't afford the propane. But I can't afford this leak either!! Reckon I can just tack this cap back down and make sure it is sealed with that black goop from Home Depot and it'll be as good as new?.... Maybe make sure I don't hammer in the roofing nails in the SAME spot as the old ones have popped out of? The rest of the 25 year old cap looks "okay" with the usual amount of expected rust - but doesn't appear to be rusted through.

And then after my repairs are made next weekend (it'll be in the 60's!!) test it with a water hose?..

Help?......
bobfather99

With roof leaks, start at the top and work your way down. Caulk seams and nail holes/screw holes as you go down the roof, then caulk around windows and doors. Water is sneaky, take your time and be patient.
Tip your bartender.....
JD
Site Admin

Black goop for composition asphalt shingles
Polyurethane or butyl rubber caulk for a metal roof
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
loveoldtrux

JD - thanks. Got the black goop for this weekend.
-Mark