remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jasonsdad

hi,
we are in the process of buying a 2002 liberty. 16x64

how do you know how much weight can go on the floors? we want to put solid hardwood throughout. i called Liberty and they couldn't give me an answer?? he did email me a set up manual...i'll have my DH look it over when he comes home.

i know the sub is OSB and when we pull the carpets and linoleum up we will see what kind of shape its in...i really want to either put plywood on top or replace it with just plywood..can anyone help with the weight issue or is this not even an issue..plywood over osb with solid on top?

thanks for any help,
clueless :?
Greg S

What is your reasoning for wishing to apply ply wood on top of OSB. Is the OSB damaged or deteriorated by water infiltration.
Although weight is not a issue I would not personally advise placing ply wood over OSB. If the OSB is solid there is no reason to cover it simply to install hardwood.
OSB sub floor is not a issue by itself the issue is with water infiltration so covering the OSB is not a solution it simply compounds the problems.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
jasonsdad

don't know what shape the osb is in. we are not there yet.

covering the osb would be easier than taking it out and i thought maybe it would give even more support?? we will NOT cover damaged osb if it is not in good shape we will remove and replace with plywood.

ive just read some debates on whether or not osb is good enough...i want to do it right the first time..

so if the osb is not damaged is it a good foundation for solid wood?

thanks for responding!
jasonsdad

just for verification...i am jasons mom. don't know why i signed on with that name.

DH keeps telling me not to worry about stuff.

just to let you know jasons mom is clueless..

kristin
Greg

Hi & welcome. OSB is usually a second choice for subfloor material. Plywood is the best choice, but prices between the two usually swings the choice to OSB. Particle board on the other hand is about only good for filling dumpsters.

If the subfloor you have now is in good shape with no water damage I would leave it alone. You really don't want to "double up" the subfloor if for no other reason it messes with the clearance of the door bottoms. If there are bad spots we recommend cutting out the bad section and replacing it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."