Hey JD!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jim from Canada

Got a pic for ya! It's late but I didn't have an upload pic button up until now

JimImage
JD
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

Sweet looking guitar! It's hard to tell by the picture, but is that a semi-transparent finish? Kind of looks like the woodgrain is showing through. Just looking at it, it looks like the Powerhouse Strat, except semi-transparent finish is throwing me off. Does it have that mid-boost feature? I played a strat with that feature when I was shopping mine. The thing would go into an almost Gibson SG tone with the mid-boost on. Very versatile.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Jim from Canada

It is semi transparent alright, but does not have the mid boost. It's a Squire Pro Tone, about 10 years old now. Has universal routing for the pick ups so I have been thinking...hmmmmm. I really wanted hard tail with a maple fingerboard though! Never satisfied, lol.

Jim
JD
Site Admin

I love that finish. I was actually going to buy a Deluxe Player's Strat when I shopping my new guitar. It comes with the transparent finish in red, blue and a yellowish sunburst. Beautiful to look at. At the last minute after 6 trips to the store to play the guitars, I pulled the USA strat down from the top row. Left the store with an empty wallet, a foggy feeling and a big grin.

If haven't heard of them, check out guitarfetish.com They make the GFS pickups. These are excellent pickups at half the cost. Overwound, wax finish, top quality struff. You can also get all the other guitar parts there at a discount. Hard to mount a hardtail over a hole though :) I am rebuilding my old MIJ strat with all GFS stuff. That strat is a dual humbucker (no singles) set up. I am going to block the Floyd Rose (hate that thing) and with the hotter humbucking pickups, I hope have a true heavy rock guitar. I don't play heavy distortion stuff but if I want to that guitar should be set up for it.

JD

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hey Jim!

That is Ryan's new guitar! He's got the squire pro with the same finish.

You'll be happy to know that they haven't changed much in 10 years. His is only 3 months old, and is exactly alike!

If I was allowed in his bedroom I'd take a pic, but I'm not LOL!

Mama gotta play nice cause he's getting the swamp cooler going this year all by himself! Not that there's much to the cooler, but I have to teach him how to replace the copper pipe that it ties into. We've got a half inch split in the copper.

If I teach him well, He will know how to take care of it for many years to come. Repairs better work, we're suppose to hit 96 by Thursday! Hubby can't get up the ladder any more right now. My fear of heights makes it out of the question for me.

Have fun with the guitars guys!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Jim from Canada

For an inexpensive guitar they are quite good. There are so many strats out there now, the combinatons of options are almost endless. Some are cheesy and some great! The Mexican built strats are enjoying a pretty good reputation. Unfortunatley the US built ones are a bit pricey...but they have the best quality.

I looked at the website JD...hmmm....lipstick tubes...very interesting......lol

Jim
JD
Site Admin

Yeah, lipstick tube pickups... Even his description of them sounds frilly and exotic. Chime mids and great ethereal sparkle on top. I have a sound setting called ethereal on my effects module. Don't like it! It has that sound that I remember when I was a kid, that sound I remember just before all the stuff I don't remember.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!