Master Bathroom Remodel Blueprints

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

KLBoldon

Finally sold my blue jacuzzi corner garden tub over the weekend! Craigslist has come through again 8)

Anywho, time to start planning the overhaul. As you you can see from the original layout pic our master bath, like many, was built around a gigantic bathtub with a tiny 32" square shower stall. The shower stall sold quickly, and like i began this topic with, finally sold the garden tub as well. Which will help fund this remodel. Craigslist is great! :)

We are going to update the master with a 57"-60" double sink vanity and to the right will add a some needed storage with a linen closet. Now just to decide on which direction to place the shower :?: Any input or tips from others that have also remodeled their master would be greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I personally like the shower end wall facing the toilet. Get the largest shower that will fit the area, the price difference is very slight but space makes a big difference.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

I also prefer #1, and do yourself a favor and reframe for a wider entrance door. You have the room, and it will make access with laundry baskets a lot easier.
KLBoldon

Yes - #1 seems to be the consensus between friends and family as well. I was hoping #2 would win out, less re-routing of the drain pipe ;) but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Commodore - that is a good point about the door! I will keep an eye out for sales to see if i can add that into the budget.
Greg S

If you are doing a complete remodel I would also consider switching the linen closet and sink location. By moving the linen closet to the other end of the sink cabinet and having the door then open against the linen closet it no longer interferes with the sink and will make the room feel larger.
Linen closets are not accessed that often that the door opening against it would be a inconvenience. I have specifically designed storage in bathrooms to be behind open doors as I consider storage as dead space.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
KLBoldon

I attached the most recent plans now. This project has sort of spiraled out of control. First we were just going to do the long awaited master bath remodel. Then we decided to de-strip the walls in the master bedroom at the same time. And then - the water heater incident which led to the laundry room being de-striped and refinished as well...ugh. i digress...

My question is - can i put a shower against the wall that has our load center on the opposite side? My initial thought process was, why not, they had the tub against it? The plumbing will not be run anywhere near the load center, it will be in the wall to the right of the shower stall. Any insight will be helpful. The shower will go straight to the studs, I was thinking i could put plastic between the shower stall and load center to act as a moisture barrier in the off chance water gets behind it, or even an water membrane. But is it against code or anything? Again i would say, they already have plumbing right there from the bath tub, its not going to be really that different that was original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flcruising

Regarding your code question, I'd bet if you called a local electrical contractor they would know protection methods for service panels.

Do not take this as electrical advice, just information.
NFPA 70A (NEC - National Electrical Code for 1 and 2 family dwellings) states the following:
312.2 Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating with the cabinet or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6-mm (1/4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations shall be waterproof. For enclosures in wet locations, race-ways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.
Exceptions: Nonmetallic enclosures shall be permitted to be installed without the proper airspace on a concrete, masonry, tile, or similar surface.

404.3 Enclosure.
(A) General. Switches and circuit breakers shall be of the externally operated type mounted in an enclosure listed for the intended use....

404.4 Wet Locations. A switch or circuit breaker in a wet location or outside of a building shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2(A). Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.
BTW, my choice would be Option #1 too. But wait, both are Options #1! I think turning the shower to face the sink wall gives the most freedom to move around in the room.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]