PB/poly to pex transition fittings

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve-WA

Off the hook @ Lowes they sell a pex fitting that is a transition coupler for pb tubing; the pb side has a shiny copper crimp ring and the ribs are closer together. I have used this many times for pb, but can it be used for 1/2" black poly tubing to pex?
Greg

I would think that since black poly is usually just clamped in place with a hose clamp if the fitting fits right in the inside of the tube and the crimp ring fits the outside you should be fine. I would double check everything though and keep an eye on things after turning the water back on.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jpingram5

No, I would not advise to use it. I accidentlly used fittings that were suppose to be for the COPPER CRIMP style and I used the STAINLESS STEEL CRIMP rings on it and sure enough it gave way. If you look at the fittings for all the different PEX style they are different. You "SHOULD NOT" use the COPPER rings on STEEL fittings or the EXPANSION rings on vice versa. I have used STEEL on the COPPPER fittings before when in a jam but I would not sleep on it.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80