Metal Roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

We have a 1995 Double Wide, with a typical shingle roof. I really like the idea of a metal roof, due to our extreme weather (hurricane force winds that rip off shingles, and temps that go from triple digits in summer, to below 0 in winter). Has anyone replaced shingles, with metal?
DCDiva

Most people in my area are replacing their roofs with metal roofs, just make sure you put down felt paper before you put down the roof as we were told it will void the warranty if we did not. Putting on a metal roof is very easy to do. We had to do a part of our house with metal and notice a huge difference with the temperature in summer and winter. Just make sure you get a energy star color and it will make a big difference in you home temp and energy cost. Plus if installed as directed wind will not take it off I was in 85 mph winds last summer and no issues with the MH roof.
Melissa inWV
UmpJJ

Melissa,
Any issues with outside noise and that metal roof? I don't think mobile homes are insulated as well in the attic as stick homes, so is rain noise more noticeable? We have a 2001 Patriot SW with shingles and they won't last forever...

UmpJJ
Greg

With our factory metal roof there is noise from the rain but we don't even hear it anymore, It's just one of those noises that you get used to.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gtpvette

We did a standing seam metal roof on our doublewide,,, mostly because of the hurricane issue. Lots of regular homes here in the Keys have them. Underneath instead of felt we did a peal and stick, rubbber, self healing membrane (Ice & Water Dam) kind of stuff. It's been on a year,,, so far so good! BTW,,, as I recall about $1K more than a shingle roof.