dryer installation 'special provision'??

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

KLBoldon

Looking at getting a new *used* washer & dryer set. I was researching the models online and came across the manual for the dryer. So i downloaded and perused it a bit. I came across this information;

Mobile home - additional installation requirements. This dryer is suitable for mobile home installations. The installation must conform to the manufactured home construction and safety standard, Title 24 CFR, Part 3280 (formerly the Federal Standard for Mobile Home Construciton and Safety, Title 24, HUD Part 280).

Mobile home installations require:
- Metal exhaust system hardware
- Special provision must be made in mobile homes to introduce outside air into the dryer. The opening (such as a nearby window) should be at least twice as large as the dryer exhaust opening.

Should i be worried about meeting this 'special provision'?
My home is a 1996 Skyline double, these are going right next to the secondary exit door (but it doesnt have a window that opens). Looking for any advice from anyone that is familiar with this.
1987Commodore

Is this a gas dryer? The only thing I can think of is ensuring sufficient combustion air if it's gas.
I have used electric dryers for many years with no special provisions other than the metal exhaust duct, which is much better than flexible plastic anyway.
KLBoldon

That's a good point, but no it's electric. In my line of work i sometimes have to proof power tool manuals. A lot of paragraphs with the cautions and warnings are simply copied and pasted and sometimes end up placed on the wrong tool. I wonder if maybe this paragraph was simply pasted from its 'gas' model counterpart and didn't get caught to be removed.
1987Commodore

OK, they're probably concerned about the potential for negative air pressure in the home, causing carbon monoxide back drafting through the flues of any gas appliances. In practicality, I don't see an issue. Probably their lawyers made them throw that language in.
Greg

Metal dryer vents area must (foil is classified as metal) NO VINYL. Vent the dryer to the outside, not under your home. I believe the rule of thumb is no more than 3 90* bends.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
KLBoldon

Got them in! look great, work great - very excited to not have to leave the house to do laundry. There was a vent already straight outside and the dryer hooked up with a foil vent, only 2 quick elbows in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.