Hot water heater leaking!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cattus

Last edited by cattus on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HouseMedic

I would wet-vac everything up real good and inspect the floor for any problems and let it dry for about three days or so and see if you notice any problems. Second if you can look under the house and see if the underbelly is sagging down or if you have any water coming out and hitting the ground then you would have to open up underneath to let that dry out. You might have wet insulation under the floor. But if it has not penetrated the wood then drying out should be OK. Most homes have the flooring laid down before the walls and this can protect the wood pretty good.

Ron
cattus

Steve-WA

They make a drain pan for a HWT - it is a big round cake pan with a hole in the side for a fitting to which you attach a drain pipe/hose/tube that is routed outside. Then this won't be as likely to cause floor problems. If you find that you have to pull the tank, strongly consider getting a pan under it when it goes back in.

The ones off the shelf at Lowe's are usually too big to fit in the HWT closet, so you may have to improvise. Consider asking the car wash for a plastic 55 gallon barrel, and cut the bottom off of it. Or, maybe a septic riser with a lid, upside down (this would be pricey) Or have a guy at asheet metal shop make you one.
Greg

I would fix the leak, get the heater working and worry about the floor when the weather warms up. If the belly has water in it than that will need to be repaired.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cattus

Greg

No sense in getting too exited, just deal with any problems (if there are any) once the weather warms up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Good to hear that you don't think you have any major damage. Just as Steve-WA above said, I would put a water heater pan under the hot water heater while you have it drained. They make them in 22", 24" and a few larger sizes it's just that you might have to go to a plumbing supply store to get the size you need. I think most of the big box stores just carry the 24" ones. I hope everything works out for you.

Ron