New MH owner! Got a project here. Pics included.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dedou

Thanks! Im located in central Illinois. We moved the home from Springfield to Riverton. the move cost $400. I'd like to see some pics of your reno, im always looking for ideas!
750chop

Well, our work on our bathroom repair came to a screeching halt a couple of weeks ago when I discovered a mama kitty (barely not a kitten herself and very sick) and her four kittens underneath our place - just before a cold, rainy front came in for a week. I must
have Mushpie written all over me, because I just "couldn't" bear to make them go away. So now we have to wait another few weeks to wean them and get them old enough to be adoptable before I can be using power saws and having big holes in the floor again. At least they are Excellent mousers! I'll be sure to be posting after that with photos of what we're doing.
The more I look at that front, the more I like it! It is awesomely retro and gives the place a great deal of interest. $400.00 to move, $300.00 to buy - what a bargain you got your family, there! Vermont is pricey - we had to pay $26k for ours, but that was good for around here :roll:
Devon
750chop

Very true. I had to try pretty hard to convince my DW that this was a good idea, she'll see once its done. Thanks for all the comments guys!
750chop

got some more done today. Hot water heater is plumbed in, sewer is hooked up, and most of the boxes are unpacked. Baby steps towards the completion of our project. Feels good to make progress though!
750chop

Ok, update time. My setup guy has had some fits with the plumbing, replacing one busted pipe at a time until he realized the entire pipe to the kitchen/main line was split about every 12 inches all the way down. Finally got the bathroom working and the kitchen will be ready this week.

Went to light up the furnace and whats this? no blower, no circuit board? Well sh*t. At the same time my grandfather whom ive barely spoken 10 words to in the past decade offers to buy us a new furnace and all of the carpet/flooring for the entire place. Sweet! Looks like move in time will actually happen this week sometime. Bout time. Pics posted as i find post worthy things to photograph.
cmanningjr

That's great!! Sounds like things are going your way.
750chop

small update, turns out the furnace we bought is for residential, not a mh...crap. was trying to see if i can use it, dont look like it. But we ordered our flooring. Pergo gunstock oak laminate from lowes with the foam backing installed. Im really excited to paint and lay flooring so it'll start to look like a home!
JD
Site Admin

Really enjoy keeping up with your project. I am thinking this will be a good one!

Also, he probably deserves more than 10 words. He may need a grandson right now. Just sayin'.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
750chop

Thanks for the encouraging words on my home.

I should have said "has barely spoken 10 words to me in the past decade. Hes never really had a whole lot to do with me. I have spoken to him recently more and let him know that we are extremely grateful for his help.
Greg

[quote="750chop

I have spoken to him recently more and let him know that we are extremely grateful for his help.[/quote]

That's the important thing! I have problems getting a "thank you" from mine at times, and then they wonder why I really don't care if they come around or not.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Greg wrote: Personally I would stay away from adding 3/8" over the existing subfloor, I would use a floor leveler if needed (again make sure the home is level before). Adding a second layer can cause problems if the sub floor under it should disintegrate witch is common with particle board floor as you are finding out.

Greg
I agree with Greg.
If I were doing it I would replace the sub floor in the rooms that you want to put down the new flooring with 3/4" tongue and grove Sturdi-Floor, OSB or something similar right down the the floor joist. From what I can see you have already done some floor repair and if you just continued it to replace all of the particle board you would have nothing to worry about with the warranty of the flooring that you want to put down.

Good luck with everything, You have come to the right place for answers.
Ron
750chop

Some progress to report! Kitchen is 99% done. just need blinds/curtains for the bay window and some misc. trim for the windows and baseboards. heres some pics. Living room is almost done, ill post them up too when its done. The space next to the wall is also going to house a dishwasher but thats a suprise for the loving wife.

Djstorman

Looking Great.