Height of bathtubs in MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I know this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. Why are MH bathtubs so high? They don't give you any more depth inside the tub so what is the extra space used for? I am asking because we are replacing both tubs in the spring with standard ones from Home Depot and want to know what I will find BEFORE I remove the old one.

Thanks,

Tom
archive

Hi Tom,

Not sure that I can answer the question correctly, but I'm going to give it a shot!

Most of mobile homes tubs are made of plastic, or fiberglass. Because of this, they are supported between the floor, or subfloor, by about 3 to 4 inches. You may even find some Styrofoam under the tub.

Yes, they are higher to step in, but most are more shallow than a normal tub!

If you're positive that your home is very solid as far as set up goes, the home is level, go ahead and install a fiberglass tub from a home store! You may have to special order the right size.

You'll at least get those few extra inches of water in your tub!

Tubs and kitchen sinks are my pet peeve in our homes. Most are very shallow.

Maureen

8-)
archive

I have nothing to add but empathy!
I am a bath-lover and the tub we have is rather pathetic! Unfortunately, there is no point in upgrading it as our waterheater is so small that I empty it when I fill the pathetically shallow bathtub!

sigh!
I hope to see pics of your improved bathroom!

:)
AT
archive

That may be the main reason. don't forget they are also shorter in length, so there may be a proportion thing also. Greg
archive

Yup, Guest is right. A previous owner replaced the original tub in my place with a full-size enamelled one. They cut a hole in the floor to take the drain plumbing and the hole's still open. That's how my cat gets in and out.

:) Nicky T
archive

Wow, guess I've been really lucky in this area. I've owned quite a few '70's and 80's homes. All P traps have been located in the belly. We did rent a single wide years ago that had a shallow tub, but we weren't there long enough for it to be a problem.

Hey Nicky, you might want to fix that hole! A pet door is more energy efficient!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Thanks, Maureen. I know that full well but this place needs so much work - you know, this has to be done before that can be done. Nothing has frozen under my place and the cat door has to wait until the mobile gets its torch-on roof & gutters, which in turn will allow me to redo the tub surround ripped-out walls once they've dried out. The torch-on roof can't be done until the rotten deck roof is replaced because its rear edge is only 3" away from the siding and the torch-on membrane can then bridge the gap. It's under this gap that the cat door will go and presently water leaks down the siding right there. Get the cat accustomed to using the new door and I can close up the belly.

In the meantime, get the ancient dishwasher disconnected ready to be thrown out, get a new toilet inlet shutoff intalled, stop the hose bib dripping, find out why the other hose bib doesn't work. My son's outside breaking up a ridiculous concrete pad, 5 x 10 feet which blocks a parking spot.

But for the topic, I should feel happy that I've got a nice big bath!

:) Nicky T
archive

I ma in the process in 4 hours of getting my tub replaced and the truly pathetic 18 gallon wtaer heater.
As of 9 tonite I will hopefully be sporting a brand new 40 gallon tub and 40 gallon water heater. I can't stand that shallow sad bath tub. I'm tall and it doesn't even begin to cover me, so it's a soaker tub for me.

trouble is, I just can't figure out how they are going to install it. I looked underneith my current tub, and i"m not sure its the original, though its so shallow I suspect it may be. No one in their right mind would renovate and put one like that in. but it seems to be a steel tub and damned if I don't se nay legs or anything holding it up besides some styrophome and the pipes underneith it. Must be some boarding or something under there. My watet heater is also built into the bathroom wall in a cute little cubicle with a 2 foot opening. how they plan to get that out and a new one in is beyond me but the cmpany seems to be expecting it to be done within a couple of hours.

I just purchased the mh, its a 1973 one, and mostly it looks beautifully renovated..built up floors, drywalled, base trim, new pipes in many areas. Looks like they just didn't want to spend the 2 grand on the new tub and heater.

Anyone have experience in actually installing a soaker into a mh? I'm trying to catch surprises before they happen tonite.

At any rate, I'll post the results when everything is done. crossing my fingers. i'm a nervous wreck.