Installiing a Chandelier in Bedroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

taysmom1016

I have a 2011 Friendship Home and those lovely builder grade frosted dome lights in all the rooms...without taking the light fixture down in my bedroom and looking (I'm an amature but have installed a ceiling fan), is it possible to put up a smaller chandelier in place of the dome lighting without too much trouble? This is my first manufactured home (this is my first own home period). Thanks in advance for your help!
Greg

Too much trouble?? There are a few things you need to find out about first. First how is the ceiling box installed, just into the sheetrock? attached to a rafter? You need to check that closely to find out.
How much does the light you want weigh? Too much weight & not enough box support are a very bad mix.
Changing the light it's self is usually a simple job, there are many sites that give a good detailed explanation on how to do it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
taysmom1016

Thanks for your reply! The chandelier is very light (probably doesn't weigh much more than the fixture that up now with the "lovely" frosted glass, it's smaller and only has 5 small candelabra lights) and the guy at Menards said it should easily replace the light fixture I have but I'll make sure I check out the ceiling box before attempting to install it. It will sure look a lot nicer than the builder grade dome light that's in there now! Thanks again!