Got a real fixer upper here!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BsNhusker

Hey hope everyone has a marry Christmas and a happy new year. New to this forum I just got me a 1983 14x70 Schultz if that sounds correct?? Needs quite of bit of work but let's start with where I am working at first at the back bedroom. Tore up all the flooring and tore off the sheet rock on one wall got new insulation and new sheet rock. One of the windows looked like it leaked for quite awhile because most of the window framing was rotted. With the subfloor removed I cut the bottom wall plate witch is 1x4 to good 1x4 and cut it in the middle of a floor joist and the cut me two equal length 1x4s one to take the place of the subfloor and the other one to set on top of the other one to replace the wall plate that was cut out. Replaced 1 wall stud and reframed the window opening. The window is currently removed and there is siding over the window opening. Does this all sound like reasonable repair?? Or am I missing something or is there some thing else I should be doing? I have reason to believe the window in this same bedroom is going to need the same repairs and I know the window in the other bedroom will need the same.
BsNhusker

I will try to post a pic of the place next time I go work on it. Another question I have is in the same bedroom is the wall that separates the hall and the bathroom to this bed room has no floor joist under it witch kinda makes sense since its not a load bearing wall but now I am concerned about this wall since I pulled up the subfloor and it is really not sitting on anything right now. There is still some subfloor under the wall but not much. I am going to have to go the hall and bathroom to catch the next floor joist for this wall to put osb under it to give it some support. Any advice and words of wisdom would be help full to go about doing this with out having this wall come crashing down through the belly. Like I said next time I go out to work on it I will take some pics and try to load them on here so you might have a better idea what I am talking about
Greg

Hi & welcome. The repairs you are doing are a very common type of repair in Mobiles. A few tips first.
Make sure the home is level before you go too much farther. Most mobiles are simply set on block piers that shift as the ground moves, If you are in an area that has ground frost the problem is worse. If you are lucky enough to have a cement pad under the home the problem may not effect you. Use a water level to check it & relevel if needed, you should be able to come within 1/4" over the length of the the home.
Make sure it is weather tight, water will ruin any repair you make fast.
Don't be afraid to over build when you repair/replace things. You can easily replace with stick built sized components that usually cost less and are easier to service.
If you are opening walls up, Build in a little and add some extra insulation you can never have too much.
Windows can be reframed and replaced with quality double hung insulated windows that actually close & seal out cold.
Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade!!!

I am sure others will add to this as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

The repairs youve posted about sound just fine to me. Replacing rotten wood can only help the structure of the home. Very important to make sure the home is level, though. You can get a water level from the store on this site.

Very common for partition walls to not have any joists under them. They should be ok temporarily. What you can do is span a 2x4 between joists under the wall in question. It will help support the wall and give you something to screw the plywood floor to. I feel that OSB is marginal for strength and durability, its "ok" but 3/4" plywood is a better choice.

Check for water leaks from the roof down. Sounds like either the roof or the window have been leaking for some time. Seal as necessary.

Post pics when you get a chance, and ask questions as they come up. Chances are someone can help talk you through it.
Tip your bartender.....