Ventline???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

Hello....

Did Ventline go out of business? We are looking to replace our very simple range hood and I haven't found a Ventline, 42 inches, anywhere on the net. The Ventline site only has 24 inch wide. Is there a comparable model, from another manufacturer? The newer models I have looked at are all so much more complicated, lots of bells and whistles. I was hoping to just pop out the old, put in the new, but this is starting to become a challenge.
JD
Site Admin

You could replace the vent's motor. The part is about $30. Mark could probably get it for you through this web site. Click on the "Books and Parts" link above.

Other than that, you could replace your range hood with a different brand like Broan or whatever they sell in your local home store. There is not much difference in base level range hoods. The problem could be in finding the 42" hood in stock. Broan has a 42" economy unit for about $70. They don't have it in stock at my local store but they will order it. Broan has a ventless and a vented unit in this price range. I feel it is always better to go vented. These hoods can be set up for a 7" round pipe or the 4x10 rectangle type. These are different model hoods, so be sure you are ordering what you want and that it will fit.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ponch37300

Learn something new everyday, I've never seen a 42" venthood. If yours is currently vented do yourself a favor and keep it vented. We got a ventless and they don't do anything, worthless. After a few months of ventless we ended up replacing back to a vented broan and love it. We splurged a little bit and bought one of the upper end broans and the two halogen lights are REALLY nice for cooking and it sucks crazy air. I do most of the cooking and I've never had a nice vent hood before but this thing is great and worth the extra 100 bucks or so.
Greg

If it is the motor, check for "Electric motor repair" in the phone book, It may be repairable. The place my wife works at part time does odd motors like that.
'
Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
LisaBoyer

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

You know...being female I am prone to sudden impulse ideas. While looking for a replacement hood at HD, and not finding one that would fit, the young kid in that department asked if I tried to paint it. I thought he was nuts, but...since I had no issues with how it ran, it was just ugly as all get out, I figured why not try. If I don't like it, I will start hunting again.

Rustoleum makes a heat resistant appliance epoxy paint, in spray and brush on. I did one coat of spray on the outside, will brush the inside, and must say, it looks amazing! Black, and shiny, looks brand new. After a few days to let it really set, I will do another coat for good measure. (this time I will open a window, after almost killing us with fumes.

So, what was once white, but stained and dirty with all the writing rubbed off...is now so shiny it creates glare in the picture! I love easy fixes :)
RangeHood.jpg
RangeHood1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Djstorman

Looks great. I think it goes quite well with the rest of your kitchen decor.

That is what my wife would say anyway.