Grrr! Spam!

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

cattus

flcruising

Sorry for the inconvenience, Alexispep has been taken care of.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
cattus

Greg

For those of you that haven't noticed, we have been under attack for the past week or so. I have deleted over 300 "members waiting for approval" ALL from overseas. Some have gotten through, I know JD has also deleted a pile of posts. We have tried changing settings and adding filters but some are still getting through.

It's getting old fast. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have been hanging around this site for about ten years. As best I know of, we have only had a couple of legitimate posts from overseas (England and Australia) and thousands of spam posts. We do get a lot of posts from Canada though. I am all for locking this site to North America only if that is something Mark can do. I hate the idea of locking anyone out, but the barrage of overseas spam is ridiculous.

Greg does the majority of this type of work. By the time I wake up on the left coast, Greg has already done most of the clean-up work. Thank you, Greg! I also have limited time anymore. I am a mobile home repair guy by day and a sound engineer and sometimes bass player in a local band here in Fresno by night.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

All you have to do is ask JD, I'll save some SPAM for you!!!!

One thing that I am seeing is the same names being deleted day after day. They are either spam bots or very persistent.

Greg
Greg

Knock on wood, I think we have the SPAM posts under control. We changed to manual approval for members, we have to check each new member before they can post. I am deleting 99% of the new members just by looking at the name, then I check the IP address. We have been running around 150 A DAY that get deleted and maybe 2 that are real people.

Greg
flcruising

Sounds much easier to verify 2 rather than delete 148.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
dedou

Thanks for all your work Greg! It's not just this group, either; I belong to many Yahoo groups and everyone seems to be under attack. Sign of the bad economic times everywhere, I guess!
Devon
Greg

I do have to laugh at some of the user names they try. Names like chrisdorx and ugg appear daily as well as the letter & number series. After a few weeks of this you would think they would figure it out.

Greg