Tile over Shower panel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

You all have been so helpful and offered such great advice, I am back for more!

Has anyone successfully put tile on the shower panel? Not sure what these are, they are not smooth, but textured like wallpaper, yet not as flimsy. I have been looking for the trim to redo where the wall meets the tub, and the corner strips that go all the way up to the ceiling, but all I can find are metal, or plastic. In order to spruce it up, I would like to put tile in it's place, as a curbing around the tub and up the corners.

I have not found any info on whether the adhesive will work to hold the tiles, most talk about backer board, or plywood, not anything on plastic or fiberglass (what I think these are). If I have to go with plastic trim, I will, but the tile sure would look better! Anyone tried this? Did the tiles stick?
ponch37300

The problem you are running into is that tile needs a good surface to adhere to. Also in wet locations you need to use thinset, not mastic. Mastic can loosen up if it gets wet. This tile would be just for around the edge where the tub surround meets the drywall right?

I have never tried this and it would be pretty tricky and I'm not even sure it would work, but. If you are set on using edge tile you *MIGHT* be able to use a waterproof construction adhesive to "glue" the tile to the wall and then grout the tiles. I personally would not do this in my house but it may be one way to accomplish what you want. If it was me I would and have used plastic trim. It's waterproof and looks pretty decent and is easy to install.

A picture of what you are trying to do and where you want to put the tile would really help.
Steve-WA

Yes I have. Recently. Go here https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... f=6&t=9472

At the end of the thread is a photo. For your concerns, I screwed the hardibacker board directly to the old tileboard which gave the tile something to adhere to. I used 1/4" backer. Remember to cut the backer so that the tile will overlap vertically by about 1/4", so there is a groove on the finished edge for caulk or grout.