Removed batten strips - now what?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MHDIY83

After 7 years I am redoing the inside of my triplewide. I have removed the batten strips but am undecided as to what is the best way to fill them for painting. I have flexible caulk and Elastomeric custom patch. Maybe fiberglass mesh? Anyone have any ideas on which is the best way to go?
Steve-WA

Put half inch Sheetrock right over the paneling (crown staples) and tack the battens over the joints unless you want to mud. Prime, texture as desired, and paint right over battens and all. Looks great, & the rock insulates great.
MHDIY83

Thanks for that idea but I am looking for the best way to fill in the gaps between the panels so I don't have to sheetrock (although that was my first idea).
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds like you already have sheetrock. I would try paintable flexible caulk. There are two potential problems here. First is that more often than not there will be some joints that crack, there is nothing you can really do about it mobiles are designed to flex. The second is that most mobiles use a textured wall board, when you fill the joints in they end up smooth so they stick out like a sore thumb when you paint over the wall.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MHDIY83

Thanks so much - there are so many great ideas here! I'll go with the caulking - the worst that can happen is it looks so bad I would have to cover them up again.
Steve-WA

Are you smoothing and filling joints in existing drywall, or filling joints and grooves in paneling? I have seen drywall joint compound (mud) used to fill in joints and grooves, but it has a tendency to pop out over time - caulk seems like a messy alternative if you want a smooth joint.

Perhaps roughing the area and using mesh tape and mud would be better
1987Commodore

If you use an eggshell paint, it will help hide texture differences.
MHDIY83

Thanks for your thoughts - tape and eggshell paint. I had the tape in hand and put it back. Going back and getting it - seems like the best alternative. It is existing drywall and I tried the caulk - you are right - too messy!