Replacement Windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jaycee

I am new to the MH life. We moved in to a 1970 single wide and have to replace the living room windows that are rotted along with dry rot around. My husband knows how to frame and install windows so no problem there. My question is... Is it possible to install typical construction windows or do we need to get the MH windows? I noticed with the pricing he has done so far the cost is almost doubled just for the window. Any tricks in the trade or would we have to re-frame the entire room? Any advice from those that have done this would be great. He wants to go to more energy efficient vinyl.
DCDiva

Hi Welcome to MH ownership!! Yes you can just replace with regular windows, we replaced with low E windows. You can change the size of the windows if you want to--we got our windows at a wholesaler--all new windows $25 each but all sizes and different styles. We had 1973 MH's with metal siding,very easy to cut,frame and reattach we added wood trim outside,plus around the window we used treated 2x4 due to all the water damage from other windows. You can see on my blog our windows in both MH's one day I will have time to finish the blog.
http://myprojects-dcdiva.blogspot.com/2 ... ndows.html
Many photos and pages of remodels we have done but need to add many more.
Melissa
Greg

Hi & welcome. YES, you can install windows for stick built in a mobile. You will need to reframe for the size you want, but you will most likely need to anyway due to wood rot. I personally prefer "new construction" type windows with the nail fin, There seems to be about a 50/50 split here between "replacement" & "New construction" windows.
Buy the best windows that you can afford, I have never heard any one say that they wish they bought a cheaper window. Shop around but compare apples to apples, Don't compare an Anderson to an off brand store brand window.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

The original single pane windows did a lot of sweating. I replaced all of my windows two years ago. Special ordered them through HD for an exact fit to the existing framing (with the nail fin).

In a word: HALLELUJAH!

The install was very easy. I had to re-trim on the inside but then the existing 'trim' was nothing more than flat strips of paneling anyway.

My place is all electric - and the winter savings have averaged $100 a month. During the summer, average savings is about $60 a month. No noticeable difference for spring and fall (between heat and cool).
Opportunity has a shelf life.