Cheapest house in town, My house.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

vintage steel

My wife and I came across a (double wide) house and a piece of land that we could afford to buy.
It was, quite literally, the cheapest house in the Coeur d' Alene area.
It is .25 acres with a 1976 24x50 double wide on it. The location isn't ideal, about 8 miles to our business, and the mobile is pretty rough, but hey, IT'S PAID FOR!!!
I'm doing some renovations and I figured I'd post up my progress.
-Russ
vintage steel

The day we made the deal, Just a beat up old mobile, but' it's all ours.
Front bath and laundry room has floors that are the constancy of wet cardboard. start tearing out walls:
Keep going, 'till you find something solid.
...There's your problem! :
Last edited by vintage steel on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Congrats!! Now the fun begins. The advantage you will have is that you will know just went into the home and how it was done. Don't try to cut corners to save a few bucks, it WILL come back and bite you.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Congrats!!! I like it, especially at the super low price....... Please post pics of your progress, its good to see it coming back together.
Tip your bartender.....
dedou

More photos!!! Nice to own your own land, I'll bet. Hey, our outer walls sound like your floors :lol: We love to see how other people fix things up, as it helps us dare to try it!
Congrats...
Devon
Greg

What am I seeing in the 3'rd picture on the ceiling about a foot from the wall? It almost looks like a strip, but it's not the the second picture.

You should also check the home for level before doing much rebuilding, no sense in having your work unlevel before you start.

Greg
vintage steel

Here's a handy trick for getting the flooring all the way under the walls, Apply upward pressure with a high lift jack and cut the nails above and below the floor with a sawzall. Pull out the old floor and slip in a fresh sheet of ply wood:
Of course, there's always option "B", Rip out the whole damn wall!
After demolishing an 8' section of wall, it's usually a good idea to build a new one. (That's my Brother-in-law, Chris, giving me a hand.
It feels good to have a wall again! Not to mention, some reasonably solid floor !!!
cmanningjr

Looks great!! Nice to have something paid for.
Greg S

Why is it so many mobile home owners insist on leaving the tong on the home after it is set. Is the intent to regularly move the home, is it some type of status symbol or possibly just a lack of caring on the home owners part.
Boggles the mind.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Greg S wrote:Why is it so many mobile home owners insist on leaving the tong on the home after it is set. Is the intent to regularly move the home, is it some type of status symbol or possibly just a lack of caring on the home owners part.
Boggles the mind.
The tongues on most of the older homes were welded in place and had to be cut off. Many people don't have a saws all or torches to cut them off.

Some people would incorporate them into a planter or flower box.

Greg
Greg S

The tongues on most of the older homes were welded in place and had to be cut off. Many people don't have a saws all or torches to cut them off.
Some people would incorporate them into a planter or flower box.

Greg[/quote]

I know, it always looks awful. It reinforces the whole "trailer park" image. In our community they must be removed within 30 days of setting the house.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
vintage steel

Tongues are coming off, but I am going to put some funky chrome tail lights with blue dots on the back. As well as some personalized plates and a bumper sticker! :lol:
Greg S

Don't forget the ever popular lawn ornaments, car tires for planters, bed head board as a garden display and you may need to build a porch to tie a dog to as well. :lol:

Good decision regarding the tongs by the way. Good luck with the project and keep the pictures coming. I completed a total gut, inside and out, of a single wide a year ago. Striped back to the studs, windows, drywall, doors, reconfigured, bath, kitchen and total exterior. Reasonable profit margin.
Just purchased a 1987 single wide in my community this past week with the intent of doing a cosmetic reno inside. Very dated but otherwise in excellent condition. Mainly bought it as a favour to the seller.
bobfather99

Great idea using the hi-lift jack. Got to try that if/when I do another rehab project.
Tip your bartender.....
UmpJJ

vintage steel wrote:Tongues are coming off, but I am going to put some funky chrome tail lights with blue dots on the back. As well as some personalized plates and a bumper sticker! :lol:
My favorite license plates of all time - "STOLEN"...just a thought :lol: