WATER LINE INSULATING-confused

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DADDYO

HI AGAIN , i was looking around at the waterline under my mh,first is all the water lines have been replaced with pex,so it looks like from the water meter to the floor where it comes inside has a big black foam insulating tube all around it,and the heat tape little box with red lite on is right there plugged in where the pipe goes in floor,this looks really perfect to me.. now at the meter and where the pipe goes into this culvert in ground looks like heat tape is on there ,but hardly no insulation,just a couple of loose pieces,i can see the pipe... question is , what should i do to make that not freeze? i read in the article that to put a big piece of insulation in the culvert, i was thinkin of placing a piece of flat foam board around the inside top of this culvert ,and a piece on top hanging over,cutting holes for pipe to fit ... after fixing the pipe with little loose insulation first.. also, one of my neighbors said that i should only use foam on all this,regular insulation will hold moisture.. i live in suburb of detroit,michigan,so it gets kinda cold here.... thank you very kindly my friends...
Greg

I think the foam is easier to put on, but either can be used. We have a foam block that fits around the meter to protect that.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."