Curve in the shower...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

feeeeline

My kid and I were attempting to install a new faucet assembly in the shower.

The shower has a very small amount of curve to it. The faucets and spigot do not sit exactly flush with the surface.

Beside silicon, is there something different we should be doing?
Lisa: I didn't know you cared about ballet.
Marge: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered dreams box?
Lisa: No.
Marge: It's upstairs in my disappointment closet.
Spydrweb1977

It would help if you could post a pic...
bobfather99

If you mean the shower panels look "wavy", then the wall behind the surround(or the surround itself) may be improperly supported/installed, not square, or just waterlogged to the point of waviness. Do the panels wobble or rattle when you "bump" them gently??

As for the tub hardware, you can use silicone or plumbers putty to seal everything up, keep in mind all you want to do is seal out water from getting behind the tub surround.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Is the curve designed into the shower or a result of a curved wall? Either way unless it is a large gap (over 1/4") silicone sealer should work fine. If it is over that you may want to try a foam gasket between the faucet & tub to seal it & silicone over that to dress it up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
feeeeline

There is a very slight curve to the design of this shower wall. Fortunately, Greg, you were correct. It was slight enough that we were able to get a tight enough fit. No water goes past those face plates.

Mischief managed. ;) We had such a nerve wracking time getting them in that I finally called the local guy that is good (second generation mobile home repair... I knew his dad) and asked for an inexpensive referral. Out came three young men who snaked, then blasted my kitchen drain, made sure THAT was not leaking anywhere obvious (under the sink), put in cut-offs and fixed the connections to the new faucets so that there was no leak there (we had it nearly there, but we just aren't savvy enough about plumbing) in the intake or drain. They were pleasant, decent, and charged me $125 for the lot. Money well spent, I say.

I soooo wish y'all could see the actual appalling color of this shower! Like... harvest gold/the bathroom version. And at 40 years old, it's solid, it's simply immaculate. One tiny cigarette burn on the edge of the tub, in spite of me having to remove a measurable thickness of lime scale. Yes, there's still a very slight bit of rust around the drain. I had to stop cleaning when the drain began to disintegrate. :D :D :D Apparently the rust and lime scale had been the only thing holding it together.

The faucets had to be replaced because they, too, had begun to disintegrate.

I don't have any illusions about the integrity of the floor beneath. I've got pictures to bear that out. The washer connection is near by, and someone was pretty careless about leaks in the past. The floor is going to need replacing eventually.... but for now, the bathroom floor is just not as bad as you'd think. Much of it is solid.

Still... as I've said before... someone, recently, loved this place, knew what they were doing, and took pretty good care of it.
bobfather99

Looks like its going nicely. Always good to see someone fixing up a home on a budget(just like me!)
Tip your bartender.....
feeeeline

bobfather99 wrote:Looks like its going nicely. Always good to see someone fixing up a home on a budget(just like me!)
Oh, Bob... indeed. A budget is kind of grand talk for what I'm currently working with.