Fuel Oil Tank

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

While I'm online just a quick question. I have a fuel oil heating system. I've heard that you should have your tank filled up during the summer to prevent condensation build up? Anyone else hear of that? I also put this stuff called "heet" in the tank at the beginning of each season that is supposed to remove moisture and keep the oil flowing smoothly at freezing temps. Any (and all) input is appreciated.
brucetrout
archive

When I used to heat with oil, the oil company told me that it is not recommended to keep oil all summer. They said that it (not sure of the correct word)"degrades" just the same as gas would sitting in your lawn mower all winter. Don't know if this info is correct but that is what they told me.
archive

Hi Bruce,
You should check with your oil supplier to see if they are delivering your oil with the additive already in it before adding your own. Mine does routinely every winter, although I didn't know that until I read one of the newsletters they send from time to time.
archive

No-they actually charge me ten bucks for the stuff. I've looked in Lowes etc. but can't find it myself.
bruce
archive

As an old oil heating guy I used to use a product named Fuel Tron. It is no longer available because of government regulation. There is a product from Schaffer that will prevent oil storage problems and also make for a better burning flame. I no longer repair oil burners but I keep up with the industry by my close association with various manufactures. Go to the dealer locator and type in your zip code to see if someone around you has the product. According to my sources this stuff really works well.#317 Kleen Burn Fuel Oil Additive.