Sealed Combustion Hot Water Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I just had a plumber come out to give an estimate about replacing the hot water heater that is in the closet inside a bedroom in a 1994 Champion doublewide. He said that currently the heater that is there is the wrong one, it was replaced before I did not live here then. I will need a sealed combustion hot water heater to be installed in there. I do believe this because I have had problems with this thing venting CO2 before. My question is twofold. How much does one of these units cost? Am I going to have to have the roof jack replaced as well?
Greg

You have a few options here, It may not be as bad as you think.

You can replace the unit with a a Mobile home approved (sealed) water heater. They do get a little expensive, $600 is a ball park price here for the unit Plus installation.

You can go with an electric unit. Initial cost will be much less, but you will most likely need to add an electrical circuit to handle it.

The third option would be a demand type unit, probably the most expensive option.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have found most direct vent water heaters cost closer to $900 for the water heater only. Labor is separate. The $900 price would include the roof jack. Hopefully it will fit the footprint of the old jack. You need to be sure it will work with the pitch of your roof. Sometimes additional plumbing work is needed, depending on the install. You may need to pull and replace plumbing for access to where the water heater goes or replace some old plumbing.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Norm Frechette

my dad had one replace a couple of years ago for about $900-1000. not cheap.
terrifromohio

Well, the plumber who was going to give me the estimate never called me back for a price so my guess is he does not want to fool with it. I guess i will have to call someone else.
I have to deal now with insurance company as part of the roof blew off during the storm.
jpingram5

If you wanna do it the least expensive way then electric would be the way to go. If not I'd say your talking $1,200 plus starting at a 40 gallon one installed.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80