I could use some advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

koolenuf

I just purchased a mobile home in November 2011, it's a Schult manufactured in 2003. It is on an above ground concrete foundation.
The furnace is hot air propane and it also has a central AC unit outside. Considering how mild this past winter was I was horrified to see my propane bill and can't even imagine what it would cost for a bad winter. The furnace is a tall slim style Miller. The AC unit looks in poor condition considering the condition of the rest of the home, the top is fairly rusted.
The main problem with heating with propane here is it's not regulated and although the furnace didn't go on and off frequently when it is on the meter spins like a top gone mad.
The AC doesn't seem to be any better off as when I turned it on it took over 6 hours to cool the home off in the on position not the auto position. Quite frankly I didn't even have it set all that low, I had it set at 75 and the outdoor temperature was under 90.
I would appreciate any input on where to start insulating or equipment. Thank you.
Greg

Since this is turning into an insulation/repair question I'm going to move this to the repair side of the forum.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

With the A/C, first thing to do is be sure your condenser and evaporator coils are clean. Also, make sure your duct work is intact, perhaps by using a mirror and flashlight to look down through the (removed) floor registers. Be sure the duct work is sealed to the register outlets too, You can use either thin sheet metal or metal tape for that.
cnyguy

I've never heated with propane, and everything I've heard about it is not good, seems to be the most expensive fuel. I would suggest considering a pellet stove, or pellet insert, if you have a fireplace. I had one installed five years ago into a factory fireplace, and my utility bills usually drop in the winter. I only use the furnace for A/C usually. Of course you have to check that your place is "tight" as far as insulation/ ductwork, etc. Pellets come in 40# bags, and you have to muscle that of course. Where I live, pellet manufacture seems to be a big thing,keeping the price per bag at about 5$ or less, for premium grade ones.
One way to check your A/C performance, is to look at the suction (bigger tube) line at the unit while it's running under load, hot day. It should be sweaty near where it goes in to the compressor. The line usually has black armaflex insulation on it, look where its not insulated, near the compressor. No sweating means low charge, icing means low charge or dirty air filter, insufficient air flow.
koolenuf

Thank you everyone for passing on your advice. I will check out the AC unit on the next hot day have. I do have a fireplace but its propane - what luck !!