Damaged door frame on older singlewide

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

break19

My wife and I recently purchased a 1980 singlewide mobile home... It has a full length, screened in front porch, the porch is on a slab at ground level, the roof for the porch extends OVER the trailer, and connects to a secondary wall on the opposite side of the trailer..

Overall, we think it's a solid place.

However... the back door refuses to close all the way.. We had to replace the door knob/lock set because the key for the backdoor had been lost.. and I noticed that the previous owner had done a fairly horrible job of replacing the lockset previously.

I wound up using spray-in foam sealant to just seal off the entire door, because I could see daylight through it.

I do, however, eventually want to FIX it. I think I may need to replace the entire frame and door, but this is the first mobile home I've ever lived in..

I've installed doors and frames in site-built homes, and it's fairly simple to do..

After all the background info, here is my question.. how difficult should I expect it to be to completely remove and replace the entire door, frame and all?
Greg

Hi & welcome. Due to the year of your home it probably has the smaller "trailer" doors unless some one has changed it. If you have enough head room you can simply install a standard sized stick built door. Make sure you have enough room for at least a double if not a triple top header for roof support. Remember there will also be wires there you will need to work around.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Best idea is to replace with a standard sized door, as Greg posted. Most stores sell a pre-hung door with frame at a reasonable price, since its a "back" door you don't need anything too fancy.

You can beef up the door rough opening while you have everything apart for extra security, as well as adding some insulation. Finally, make sure you seal up the door frame from the outside to keep out leaks.
Tip your bartender.....