Dishwasher installation question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Seasider48

I have an older dishwasher (that I purchased with the other appliances) and was wondering about installing it. I don't know if it works or not, or if it leaks.

- If I wire it up and plug it in outside with a bucket of water (or a hose connection from the outside) I was thinking this would test it for leaks, etc. Good idea or bad?

- I would like to set up the dishwasher near the cabinets. Too far for the standard dishwasher connecting hose to the sink. Was thinking of Pex to the connection at the sink - it makes a 90 degree turn from where I want them to be - as I want the hoses hidden in the back. Anybody try this - using Pex on a dishwasher?

- I will be using sheet vinyl as the floor surface and this will be caulked at the edges to a concrete board wall in that area. Is some sort of pan system, tied into the sink/waste water line needed?

Sue
flcruising

Testing the dishwasher outside sounds like a good idea.

How far away from the sink are you anticipating? The water supply will be easier than the drain, but a pan is not necessary, it would just be going above and beyond code.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
rookie35

I agree with FL, the pan system sounds like a big hassle for nothing. And as far as pex, is that for the supply or drain? I set my supply with pex and works well. Just remember pex is stiff though. Also when installing a junction box, set it in the wall or away where the back of the dishwasher won't hit it and stop it from setting all the way unser the cabinet correctly. Just something I goofed on.
JD
Site Admin

To plumb the dishwasher, I would run PEx into the cabinet area for the dishwasher, and connect a braided dishwasher line to that. You could add a shutoff anywhere that is handy along that line. PEx direct to the dishwasher would make moving the dishwasher in and out very difficult. Probably would kink lines and break connection parts.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.