Floor enders or lag screws?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I recently bought a new 2010 Legacy mobile home. There is an area of flooring in the master bedroom/bathroom that creaks. It's not a squeaking sound. It "moans" when you step on and off of this spot. It's approximately right in the middle of the home, the approximate location of the I-beam. One service guy for the dealer told me that it was an easy fix. He mentioned all that was needed was to adjust a lag screw or two. However, one of the main men up at the dealership told me that it would generally cause more problems to try and fix the problem. He said something about having to cut open the underbelly to install "floor enders." I certainly wouldn't want my insullation cut up in a brand new home. I really appreciate any suggestions. I have found this site a wonderful place for mobile home owners!
Greg

The lags are below the insulation at the I beam. You could try giving the ones in the area a half a turn and see if it helps.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rockncountry101

Thanks Greg. I'll tell them to come out and do it. After all, I just bought a brand new home from them. He was just making it seem like he would have to tear up the underbelly. He said with mobile homes, trying to fix issues can make more issues. It would if I tried to do it myself. A handy man I am not. If that were the case, I would have stayed in my old house. But I appreciate all the helpful advice that you've given me over the past few weeks! I'm glad to know you guys are here. Afterall, I'll be living in this one for a long time.
JD
Site Admin

As Greg said, all frame and outrigger screws are exposed. The would be an easy fix. Just get a socket and rachet and tighten every bolt under the home. Well, turning the rachet is easy. Getting to every bolt is not so fun. If this is an actual floor squeak, where the subfloor has loosened from the floor joists, the fix is harder. Personally, I would try the Squeak Enders unless I had plywood floors. Even then the tension could pull the screws out. With particle board, the squeak ender products that push or pull the subfloor will be ineffective. I have had success when working over carpeted areas by anchoring the subfloor down. the best way is to pull the carpet back and use 2 1/2" all purpose screws to tighten down the floor. I have also had success by locating the floor joists and nailing a 16d finish nail (like those used to install door frames), down right through the carpet and into the joist. When the nail gets to carpet level, drive it home with a nail punch.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flcruising

I like this system for carpeted rooms - http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0 ... 84,00.html
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
JD
Site Admin

I have seen those before and they look like they would work good. What you don't want is the type that screw into the subfloor and pull down or the ones that attach to the floor joist and push up on the subfloor. They just don't work on particle board and I have my doubts on whether they would work on plywood.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rockncountry101

Thanks for the info guys! I should also be a little more specific. The sound is isolated to my master bedroom/bathroom. It is almost directly in the middle of the house. If I stay to either side, you don't hear anything. Anytime I walk from the bedroom to the bathroom, I can hear popping all under the floor, sometimes it also sounds like the walls are settling too. I found an area in the middle of the room that actually groans. It's not a sound like a loose nail, but like a board is moaning. Would this be a lag bolt issue? And if so, should that be covered under warranty?
Greg

I would think it should be a warranty issue. I would contact the dealer again and push the issue a little. Document everything, Names, dates, any phone calls and any action taken. If the dealer refuses to do anything, contact the manufacturer.

Remember it is easier when you start out nice and try to work with them.

Greg
rockncountry101

Well today I went under the house and I found two metal beams going the length of the house. There were lag bolts going through the barrier but barely brushing up against the beams. I tried to tighten them, but there were already tight. The owner of the dealership gave me two options. He could send someone out to use a squeak ender. That's the first option. This would require tearing the insullation which to me would be hard to live with. The second option would be to live with it. How big of a deal is it to cut the moisture barrier to pull the insullation apart just to stop a creak?
Greg

Well, Personally I don't like to open up the belly unless there is no other option. It sounds to me like the dealer is doing his best to avoid the problem, and put the ball in your court.

I think if it were me I would have to decide if I can live with the creak, or contact the manufacturer and make a report of the problem and what the dealer is willing to do.

Greg