Handyman for mobile home repair jobs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CountryLiving34

I am thinking about replacing the skirting around my mobile home. It has many cracks and holes from getting too close with weed trimmers and weather cracking. How do you go about finding someone like this to do a job like this? Any idea how much a job like this would cost me (labor only). Thanks in advance for any replies.
Norm Frechette

why not save labor costs and replace the broken sections of skirting yourself??
Greg

We don't keep any data bases for contractors here, Ask around the parks in your area and see if they have anyone.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
CountryLiving34

@ Norm Frechette, I would but I am not real good at doing stuff like this. I would like to completely remove the old vinyl skirting I have now and replace with some of the quik brick panel skirting shown below to give my mobile home a more modern look. I wonder if Craigslist would be a good place to look. I am really cautious about Craigslist because of all the bad things I hear that sometimes happen to people.

Norm Frechette

have you checked out your local yellow pages phone book for area mobile home repair contractors?

how about "angies list" instead of craigslist?
CountryLiving34

Thanks Norm. I've heard you have to pay to be a member of Angie's list, I think. I did look thru Craigslist and found a few ppl. One guy told me he could come by and give me a possible estimate but I am not quite ready to do it yet. It may not be until 2013 before I do this because I am on a very tight budget as are most ppl these days I suppose! LOL...thank you for your responses.
Greg S

If you are not prepared to have the work done now there is no point in searching out a contractor. A year is a long time down the road in a contractors life and asking them for estimates is a waste of there time and money if you do not intend to hire them within a short period of time.
If you get an estimate without the intent of hiring someone next year they may refuse to work for you or worse yet jack the price to pay for their inconvenience.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

On the other hand, If you are up front with them and explain that it is in the planning stage and you are trying to make a time frame based on expense there is no reason that a reputable contractor would not get you a ball park figure subject to change with cost increases.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."