Can i partial roofover my mobile home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gwen41539

ok here is the deal we got into the closet and realized it was leaking black mold is everywhere the roof is the culprit we dont have the money to reroof the whole house but wanted to just replace what we can for now will this be ok? will it stop the leak if its over the affected area? help
Greg

I am going to assume you have a metal roof here. For a small area it may be quicker & easier to do a patch job with flashing. You can either screw or rivet a patch and seal it up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

If on the other hand it is a shingled roof, and assuming there is no obvious breach (vents etc) in the roof in the area of the leak then most likely the entire roof will soon be in need of replacement. You can still do a partial repair but expect to do the rest within a year or so.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

I agree with Greg S. If the shingles are in good condition, then you are usually looking at an install error. But most times, the roof is getting old and this just happens to be the first place to strt giving you trouble. If the shingles are old and brittle, you often times just end up moving your leak to the new edge of your repair area because of damage to the old course of shingles above the repair. If shingles a curled at all or the mineral finish is worn along the bottom edge, I would not try a repair, myself. Repairs can cost twice as much per foot than new shingle roof installation. So most times it is better just to re-shingle that half of the home than patch a smaller area.

But if this is a metal roof, small repairs will do the job for that particular leak, but you have to be sure you are repairing the area that the leak is originating from.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.