How do I find out the year make and model

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hello, and god morning!
I am buying a used mobile home, and I wondered how to find out the year make and model. The cover of the breaker box is gone, there are no nameplates on the outside and the mortgage broker is listing this as a deeded property site address plot size etc..with dwelling but not a year make and model. I ask this only in respect to help with future questions on types of O.E.M. equipment rated for refurbishing this trailer as it is in dire need of multiple repairs. The last person whom forclosed left very angry and tore out all of the wiring from the floor to the box, cut it and took it away, he also cut the wires off at the ceiling where they go down toward the panel box, leaving small nubs of wire protruding from the ceiling. ALso the plumbing consists of a well and septic, and the wells pump which is above ground was driven oover and left in pieces, and the rest of the plumbing ranges from missing piping to having a back wall to one of the showers tore out of it so a garden hose could be usd to feed the shower head.
Over all the trailer is trashed and needs too many repairs to list right now. So many first question was to help in navigating purchasing the right supplies to repair this particular home. Thanking you all in advance for your help.
Sincerely,

Tim.
archive

I think if you cannot find the HUD plate or information on the model, I think it may appear on the title (correction). When it was originally purchased (edit), I believe you have to provide this information to the state. In rare cases, I think, it may not be available.

Sounds like a terrific deal for a handyman. Good luck with the home.
archive

Hi,

If you know or can find out who the previous owner, finance company or the insurance company was they might have the information on record.

In most cases older MH the pertinent info has long been removed or painted over. Have you completely checked the exterior of the home for a metal plate typically riveted to the end of the home, the end opposite of the hitch.

I can not reread your post from here but did you say that everything the land home is all "deeded" together, if so go to your local tax record office and the info should be there as well.

Sounds like you have a real fixer upper in the works.

I ask that you please refer all repair questions in separate threads, please ask one question per thread as it will be easier for those to answer to follow along, and no question will be left without an answer. Do not worry about posting to many questions, that is exactly what we are here for!

Look forward to helping you in the future.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
archive

Sounds like you have a great project. I thought I would ad that most mobile home manufactures do not keep materials specific to older mobile homes. Usually you will find that your request for parts from them will fall on def ears. As was mentioned before when you have questions on rebuilding your home just ask on them separate subjects so we can keep track of it all. You will find that Home Depot/Lowe's and other stores carry materials that will work well in your home. Furnaces/water heaters and the like will have to be listed for use in a mobile home but other items like wood products/electric wiring/plumbing/stoves and refrigerators can be of the same type used in stick built homes. The moderators of this board are very knowledgeable in many subjects and can answer many of your questions. We are all here to help each other since there are not many places to get help with our style homes. Good luck on your project and hope to here from you soon.