Replacing odd size door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeepsOLot

I have a 32"x79" side door that goes into the kitchen. I can't seem to find anyone that has that size door. If I can't find that size, I would like a wider door, how much of a PITA is it to enlarge the door frame area? Thanks!

Jerry
bobfather99

Two ways to go here, either buy a "standard" size door and cut it to fit, or expand the rough opening to fit a standard size door. Either will require a little bit of work. If it were my home, I would expand the rough opening to fit a standard door. When its taken apart I also like to beef up the wall for added security. I like to add some support for the deadbolt/lock and the hinges.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

If you have the head room to squeeze in a full size door I would go that route, that way it is done and if the door has to be replaced at a later date it will be an easy(er) job.

If you do not have the head room, check the Articles section of the site for cutting a door down.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeepsOLot

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it!

Jerry
Mobile68

I've replaced every door in my MH with standard sizes, which of course meant widening the openings. Do yourself a favour and go with pre-hung, as comparatively, non-pre hung are a PITA.
JeepsOLot

^^^ I plan to!! Pre-hung FTW!!