Tile in M.Closet for Water Heater??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bigedschukar

Hey Everyone!

First post since getting registered and brand new first time mobile home'r. Very happy to be on the forum!!

Any how, we purchased a 2000 mobile home and the water heater is in the master walk-in closet. Instead of carpet in the closet it is linoleum. I'm wondering if this is because of the water heater and is a mobile home norm or just the previous owner's design preference? If it is because of the W/H we will replace the linoleum with more linoleum....if not, carpet it is.

Thank You!!
- Big Ed
Greg

Hi & welcome. I think it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I don't think there is any code that says one way or the other. Our's has carpet. The only thing to consider would be if a leak were to happen.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

Our 2001 Patriot has carpet in the master closet, with linoleum in the water heater portion, which is behind a panel in the wall in the master closet.

UmpJJ
chablis

My water heater is in a paneled-off compartment behind the utility room. It was installed over linoleum.

Don't be lulled into security thinking that linoleum will offer all that much protection against a leak. Because the compartment is paneled-off, we failed to notice our leaky water heater until I heard an ugly hissing noise from the compartment several years ago. We quickly moved the hanging coats out of the utility room, slid away the panel, and found our water heater leaning at a bizarre 10 degree angle and partially sunken through the still-linoleum covered floor. Water had seeped in over a period of time and dissolved the particleboard floor, and the water was now spewing out of the water heater.

We replaced the heater with a forty gallon gas fired water heater, but rebuilt the floor before we did that. Underneath the heater we placed the bottom of a very large galvanized steel trough. I never want to go through that experience again!

I'd also advise, if you do any home improvement projects calling for pounding, sawing, or vibration, to check the alignment of your water heater once done. All that vibration can loosen the mounting straps, and if the outlet isn't far into the exhaust stack, the heater will start to lean. We found this out when I went into the compartment to drain the heater (as you're supposed to do a couple of times a year to help prolong its life.)
Chablis
Greg S

Building supply stores sell plastic pans for under water heaters.
Usually the heater is out of the way in a hidden compartment and is not regularly checked. As such a leak can go undetected for a long time.
My solution was to add a drain line to the pan that exits through the floor and out through the skirting. If the tank leaks I will, in theory, be more likely to notice the hose leaking sooner rather than later. The drain will also prevent the tray from overflowing.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)