New Toy

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

JD
Site Admin

I just got a new toy and just had to show everyone. This is a real deal strat and it sounds soooo sweet! I got it last Sunday and right now my fingers are so sore that I just sit and look at it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
troyster

Its sweet. Rock on JD
Maureen

Hey JD!

Very cool!!! Our 20 year old just bought a brand new strat a month ago. He's crying about his fingers also LOL! His is also a sunburst, but in a darker cherry wood.

Beautiful guitars! Nothing beats a Fender strat in my book!

Keep practicing, those fingers will toughen up!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

Fender was on TV recently. They showed the manufacturing process. Lots better than the electric guitar I made in high school shop.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Jim from Canada

I have a Squire Pro Tone Strat which is....well..OK. Has a decent tone and a beautiful clear red finish with gold (paint) hardware. Good for my clunky playing through my tweed Peavey Classic 30. I want to do the home built route. By a nice maple neck and build the body. I have a chunk of Ash that is still a stump in the back yard that I've been eyeing up for the project. I don't pull the guitar out very often any more so every time is the sore finger deal. Just too many other things on the go all the time. I would not be without one in the house though...lol. It is always nice to have something to exact revenge on goofy nieghbours, and with my playing abilities that is about how you can describe the sound...revenge...lol

Jim
Yanita

Hey JD,

That sure is pretty...

I got to admit I know zip about guitars, my boys grew up beating on the drums..

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

LOL Jim. That is one thing we can do is exact revenge, eh? Many many years ago I had a problem with apartment neighbors with a very nice home stereo that would force the entire area to listen to a muffled version of what they wanted to hear. They were young, but then so was I at that time. After asking them to turn it down several times, I got the point across by lining two amps against the wall between us. Over 100 watts of tube power rattled their cage real good.

Nowadays, I try to take it easy on my neighbors. I have very loud amps, but keep it turned down for the most part. But you really can't hear the gain sounds that way. So I use studio headphones. My Cyber Deluxe amp has a headphone jack and so does my Boss GT-6 effects board. I imagine that looks pretty goofy jamming away with the distorted face and all with no sound coming out.

I have always played a little bit most every day. The sore fingers come from hours per day since I got this guitar. Not used to that much playing anymore. I have been a mediocre guitar player for almost 42 years. So I got playing mediocre down pretty good. No problem with finger tip callouses. It is more of a deep bruising thing. But if I keep playing this long everyday, I am sure the soreness will fade.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
kashton

When I first saw the post for "New Toy" I thought for sure it was going to be a quad, truck, or a boat.

I never did finish lessons as a kid. I should have. I would love to be-able to play. Now a days, I just don't have the time to learn.

Nice purchase JD.Too bad we can't hear you play!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Kashton,

Just put on a Stevie Ray Vaughn CD and imagine it is me playing. We will both have a much better experience that way. :)

I am really not very good at all. Just play for my own enjoyment for the most part. As I get older, I drift away from other musicians and don't get a chance to work a song or just jam. So I end up playing the same stuff the same way. I was told that "practice does not make perfect, you need to perfect what you practice". Just hard to do without that collaboration.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Yanita

JD,

Stop being so hard on yourself. Many of us love to do things that we are not an expert at, but do it for the enjoyment!

I love listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn! :D

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jim from Canada

Yup! SRV still raves on here too. To think they can't get Bon Jovi near a helicopter, drat! It is amazing how loud a tube amp is. Of course to double the volume (in dB) you have to multiply the wattage by 10. You can't be in the same room with my "little" 30 watter with the volume over 6. Then there is that little pre gain knob and of course an original (1981) TS-9 tube screamer. Looking at one of those multi effects units that will take a set of headphones. Just so I don't drive my sweatie nuts! She doesn't mind me messing around on the acoustic though. A bit of Neil Young goes a long way for your state of mind.

Jim
JD
Site Admin

Hey Jim,

Have you looked at the Line 6 Floor Mod? I don't know what all you play, but this is a 12 amp modeler, with 3 foot switches and a pedal for volume or wah. One switch is distortion, one is chorus/phaser stuff, and one is the delay. Really simple and straight forward. My Boss GT-6 was a gift. It is way to much for me. I only use about 6 mode sounds and this thing has 1000s. Anyways, the Line 6 in Fender Blackface is really sweet. There is the Pod-2 for the same price, with 32 amps and more crazy effects, but you loose the foot switches and pedal. Headphones direct into the POD and you are in sound heaven.

I know what you mean about the volume thing. I never use my Bassman head (my best amp) at home. You need at least volume 3 to get the warm blues sound. Using the guitar volume kills it. I don't need to be loud, but to get "that sound" you need to drive the speakers.

Anyways, if you haven't seen it, here's a link. Fee shipping makes it the best price (new).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINFLOORPOD

JD
Last edited by JD on Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

kashton

Really simple and straight forward. You lost me completely!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
JD
Site Admin

Hey kashton,

Effects pedals are those small boxes electric guitar players set up on the floor next to the mic stand. Some people call them stomp boxes. Each small box changes the sound in one way or the other. The Tube Screamer Jim is talking about gives a guitar a distortion sound for playing music like Metalica or Soundgarden when turned up high and Stevie Ray Vaughn when turned up just a little. Actually SRV didn't use those boxes but it is a way to fake the sound in there. There are scores of these boxes all doing different sound changes. The big effects pedals Jim and I are talking about groups a bunch of pedals into one large box. The big boxes that do amp modeling, is supposed to take any amp and make it sound like a different amp. So I can take my Fender amp and make it sound like a Marshal, Soldano, Mesa Boogie Rectifier, Vox, and on and on. It can also take my newer Fender and make it sound like a 1959 Fender or a 1964 Fender Twin or a Fender Vibrolux. Anyways, you get the idea. Now to get the thing to sound real authentic, you got to squint your eyes and use some imagination.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Jim from Canada

I was thinking maybe a Korg AX1500. I think the local shop might straight trade my Tube screamer for one as it is an original and worth about $300 CDN. I would like to have the expression pedal on it and a whole slew of old amps and effect modeled sounds good too. The better half likes the head phone idea! My amp has a line in/line out so it would wire up nicely. I very rarely play with other people, or for that matter, in front of other people. Way too uncomfortable with my abilities. lol.

Jim