Roof damage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mmiiiiiz

I had a tree fall on the roof of my older home, and thankfully only had some minor damage. The holes it left are right on the edges of the roof, and are "V" shaped dents/holes. I'm not sure how to repair these gaps. Normally I might put some butyl tape and sheet metal over the hole, but that's for flat areas. There are four of these holes, about 2-4" (the edges of the "V") in a line above the J-rail. Should I use something to fill the holes and then patch. As always, thanks for your input.
Greg

That's really about the only way to repair it. I would try to pull the dents out as much as possible to get as flat surface as possible to help the sealing. Then I would make a metal patch to go over it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would also try to repair this damage with metal patches but I would use extreme repair techniques as this is a very critical area prone for leaks. Metal roof edges are quick to leak and difficult to repair. I would also check the trusses from the edge of the roof to the ridge in the area of the tree damage. With holes being punched into the metal, there was certainly enough force to damage trusses.

My repair suggestion would be to remove the drip rail, mini-gutter or whatever you have that covers the edge of the roof metal. Pop out the dents as best as possible. Then I would use heavy galvanized patches that are at least 4" wider than the holes in each direction, to give sealants a chance for a permanent fix. I would completely cover the bottom of the patches with Eternabond Double-stick Roof Tape. This is just the Eternabond micro-tech sealant with no covering on it at all. Just sticky stuff. This will work as a very aggressive adhesive as well as a water sealant. I would form the patches to contour with the bend at the roof edge and use big stainless steel rivets or round head screws to fasten the patch to the roof. I would use fasteners about 1/2" from the hole as well as around the perimeter of the patch. I would then use a polyurethane sealant (Tremco Vulkem 116) on the edge of the patch and over all fasteners. Then replace the drip rail/gutter with new butyl rubber putty tape. If the old drip rail is all goobered up with old sealants, I would use new drip rail instead of what you took off. Everything must be lacquer thinner clean before application.

That is how I would fix it anyways.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mmiiiiiz

Thanks for the information guys. I'm glad it wasn't worse, and I'll do my best with these suggestions.
heatnar

I know that A damaged roof can seriously affect your entire home. Water entering through roof leaks can damage your ceiling, walls, structural supports and even your house’s foundation. Mold and mildew that grow in trapped moisture can cause breathing problems and lead to an unhealthy environment throughout your home. plumbing plumber