Top Load Washer vs. Front Load

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Barb P

Seems to me, the extremely fast spin cycle would cause too much vibration in front loader.
I never leave house with appliances running, so if the top loader is unbalanced, I can correct it immediately. I worry about pipes coming loose, underneath home, from vibration.
Any ideas about washers?
BarbP
Greg

I have found that front loaders are a totally different beast. We have a Bosch that will some times think you are sitting on a paint shaker and other times never even know it is running. I think that it is VERY sensitive to what and how much is in it. I have it level & Mark's anti vibration pads. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Barb P

Thanks Greg. I'm having a terrible time choosing a washer. Reading reviews on Consumer Reports, for all washers, under $700, and every brand gets terrible reviews from real people, even when Consumer Reports claims it to be good in most respects.
BarbP
Greg

I have a feeling that front loaders may be another case of people having to relearn how they do things. They just are not the same as top loaders, Our's is so much quieter that a top load you can be 3' from it and not even tell it is washing - until it hits the spin cycle!!! Let me tell you that when it finally gets into high gear (1200 RPM) If the load is off a little it will shake. Greg
Claudia

I don't know anything about front loaders. Though I've learned over the years that if I kept fabric types/weights similar in each load the spin cycle was smoother. For instance I would mix jeans and bath towels. I wouldn't mix my light weight clothes with heavy fabrics. Maybe that would make a difference for you?
Barb P

Well, I've spent many hours this week, reading reviews, and the consensus is, everybody hates their top loaders.
They are mostly made by the same compony, no matter the brand on the machine. I've had my Kenmore for almost 20 years. It's been sqealing lately when it spins.
I didn't want to wait for it to die, full of water.
Now I don't know what to do. *sigh*
BarbP
Greg

Go with a front loader!! Greg
cskal

I agree, buy a front loader of you can. We got a front loading washer/dryer set from Sears (Kenmore units) and are very happy with them. I find them much easier to load/unload versus the top loaders; easier on the back.

If there is an imbalance in the load, we get a little shake in the home but it dissipates rapidly. I find that the front loaders don't have a tendency to "walk" like the top loaders do.

When I get to it, I am going to follow some of the suggestions that I have seen like sandwiching foam board insulation between the floor and plywood and put the units on top of that to reduce/eliminate the little vibration that we get now.
Arlo

I went through this decision this past summer. I talked to a trusted repair man. He has been fixing appliances for 25+ years and tells me he is getting rich doing warranty work on front loaders. He told me most of the major brands used the same computer board and it often goes bad within the first three years. He told me to get top loaders. I got a Maytag set that has a stainless steel basket in the washer and they are designed and assembled in the USA. It was close to bottom of their line but they have a larger capacity than most I looked at. I think I spent about $650 on the set. I went for the Home Depot deal where they deliver it free and got $100 off by ordering it online. They were delivered on time and I really like their system. I had a lot of trouble with Lowes and a dishwasher a year ago.
Yanita

Hi,

I like my top loaders. I have never had a problem with my machines. I have a great tendency to forget to put a towel in and with a top loader I can open the machine and add it. I seldom have an off balanced load and it does not shake, rattle and roll out of place. I prefer the simpler machines. Most of them still have more settings than I will ever use or need, so I refuse to pay for what I am not using.

I too talked with a repair person, and have a client right now with a new Bosche set...big troubles with the units and a huge repair bill! I will keep it simple. BUT, as with all things, the choice is yours and you need to choose units that will meet your families need.

Good luck,
Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
red25541

My washer only spins out at 700rmps but the top loader I'm looking at spins out at 1100rpms. I don't want it moving or causing damage. I live in a older mobil home but it is in good condition. Built in 1987. Is 1100rpms to much for a mobil home? Thanks