Normal cooling??

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dragnfyr

Hello, We have a 1996 Oakwood (Texas model) mobile home. We have had the AC unit checked and it is supposedly working properly. During the day, it is impossible to keep the trailer cool. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? We have had the roof resealed and coated (last summer). I would appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Drag
DCDiva

Did they clean your outside condensor unit,mine in my house did not cool and the tech cleaned the outside unit--witha special cleaner and the hose it took 3 times as mine was really junked up but that fixed the problem--if u can buy the special cleaner?? it could be a diy--not sure---then my drain got plugged up --while on vacation and came home to a water filled floor TG it was concrete--then last week the fan stopped working the compassitor went out--while fixing it the tech found a part that needed fixed for the heat---what a summer for my AC well it is 15 yrs old but all in one summer--I know the tech really well now lol
Melissa inWV
Dragnfyr

I cleaned both the inside coils and the outside coils before I had the ac unit checked... It works fine.. I also had all the duct work resealed... we are getting good cold air at all the vents, it just cant keep up with how hot the inside of the house gets... freezes us to death at night though...

Drag
flcruising

What color did you recoat the roof with?

What condition & quality are your doors & windows?

What is the vent temperature?

How long have you had this problem?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Dragnfyr

Doors and windows are what came with the trailer. one inside upper pane is cracked, the rest are all whole and sealing as well as they originally did... The roof was sealed and coated with a white elastomeric coating from ace hardware(I dont remember the brand name).. The AC guy says we get an average of 60 degrees at the vents, (He says that is supposed to be very good)... We moved back into the trailer last September and it didnt seem to have the problem, so 2-3 months.... we have also been having 100 plus weather most of that time as well

Drag
jpingram5

How many square feet is your home? Possible your unit is not sized correctly. Do you live in a area where its frequently extreme hot summers of 100+ days??

Did you have a well know company check the unit or some random "HVAC Guy"?
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Dragnfyr

jpingram5 wrote:How many square feet is your home? Possible your unit is not sized correctly. Do you live in a area where its frequently extreme hot summers of 100+ days??

Did you have a well know company check the unit or some random "HVAC Guy"?
Our trailer is a 16 x 80... If the ac unit is undersized, it has been since 1997 when it was installed here... We live in central Texas, so while it is "usual" for us to experience alot of days over 100 degrees, we are experiencing a heat wave that is breaking records... The person who checked our ac unit is a friend of ours who does service work for the local Lennox and Carrier dealers...

Drag
flcruising

If the hvac system checks out good, then I would start looking elsewhere for energy improvements. Anything you can do to seal up your home will help. Reflective solar film on the glass, caulk, and weatherstripping would be the simplest suggestions.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
jpingram5

a heat wave with breaking records might be the situation. before this heat wave, the year prior did you notice problems with it not being able to keep cool?
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80